An important aspect for all filmmakers, especially independent ones, is mobility. It’s highly important, critical even, that the process of carrying your camera or cameras, lenses, and other equipment is easy and painless.
For this, you are required to have a camera bag.
While throwing your equipment in a simple bag might seem easy.
The truth of it is, you’re throwing hundreds or even thousands worth of glass and fragile filming equipment into an unprotected bag.
It’s kind of like putting your money in an unsealed bag, throwing it in the river, and hoping for the best.
Now, with choosing camera bags, it can seem daunting to pick the right one for you, with all the variations in style and size.
That’s why today we’ve compiled a comprehensive buying guide on the best camera bags currently on the market.
We will first take a look at some of the finest camera bags that’ll store and secure your equipment.
After that, we will discuss some of the things you need to consider before buying a camera bag.
Best Camera Bag – The List
Let’s take a look at some bags that are worth your time and money.
The Peak Design Everyday Messenger is the quintessential videographer’s bag.
On the outside, it’s a simple bag with a simple classic style. On the inside, it’s a bag with a huge internal space and FlexFold dividers.
This blend of simplicity and versatility has made the Peak Design Everyday Messenger line-up a hit with many videographers.
The latest iteration of this line-up, the Everyday Messenger 13 V2 is the best one yet. A bag that any self-respecting videographer can get behind.
The interior compartment is more than enough to store your equipment.
You can use the FlexFold dividers to arrange your kit to your liking. It also provides maximum security.
The Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13 V2 is especially great if you have a large setup. You can even store a laptop there, provided it’s 13-inch or smaller.
There are also what feels like an infinity of small pockets for small items like cables.
You can open the main compartment with a single flap that uses a “MagLatch” system.
- MAGLATCH HARDWARE: Fast, secure, one-handed access via patented MagLatch Hardware offering 3L of...
- QUICK ADJUSTING PADDED SHOULDER STRAP is removable and fully configurable for cross-body or...
- 3 HIDDEN EXTERNAL CARRY STRAPS can be used to cinch down bulky items on the outside of your...
- 3 FLEXFOLD DIVIDERS give brilliantly customizable and protective internal organization.
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Weatherproof, 100% recycled nylon canvas shell is DWR impregnated, double...
The Billingham Hadley Pro oozes class with its classic design.
It resembles a school satchel in the best way possible. This camera bag is fitted with full-grain leather and brass fixings.
The smart-casual look of the canvas-style construction will boost your confidence thanks to how professional it looks when you carry it.
As a bonus, it’s fully waterproof.
Many videographers complain that shoulder bags are uncomfortable. Not the Billingham Hadley Pro. It’s built to be a slim and easily manageable camera bag.
You can even manage to fit in a full-frame DSLR body alongside an attached 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens, and a flashgun on top of it all in this nifty bag.
There are two additional front pockets. These are great for fitting in extra gear. You can even store an iPad in the rear zippered pocket.
If you’re planning to carry a large kit, you may want to invest in the optional shoulder pad.
Overall, this is one of the best camera bags, shoulder bags especially, on the market.
- Upgraded version of the classic 'Billingham Hadley Pro' Camera bag.
- Removable padded insert to turn the bag from a camera bag to a casual bag in seconds.
- Fabric has layer of butyl rubber sandwiched in the middle for the ultimate in weather resistance.
- Zippered pocket with rainproof zip & luggage trolley retainer strap on back.
- Leather under top handle for added comfort while carrying.
There’s a reason Peak Design’s bags don’t include the words ‘camera bag’.
Their bags are flexible enough that you can use them for anything. You can carry camera equipment or use it for everyday use.
As the company acquainted us with all their products in the line, the Everyday Backpack has the famous FlexFold dividers. These allow you to easily customize the interior space to fit your needs.
This camera bag doesn’t only offer dividers. There are plenty of innovations to marvel at here.
When it comes to the carrying capacity, you can carry a crazy amount of equipment on the 30L version of the Peak Design Everyday Backpack.
Throw in a pro-size camera body, lens attached, add a few lenses, flash attachments and you’ll still have ample space left.
The Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 is the perfect stylish backpack that is both comfortable to carry and affords you numerous options for organization options.
It really is second to none.
Its innovative design, stylish look, functionality, and durability in conjunction with Peak Design’s lifetime warranty make it an irresistible package.
- UNBEATABLE ACCESS: Grab your gear instantly. Open bag from either side via two weatherproof...
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR SETUP: Three configurable FlexFold dividers let you organize and protect any type of...
- EXPANDS TO FIT MORE: MagLatch hardware provides 3L internal expansion. Stowable external carry...
- ADAPTS TO YOUR NEEDS: Not just a camera bag, this everyday workhorse is designed to be the perfect...
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: It's our mission to make the best things. Not good, not great, but literally the...
If you carry a smaller great and want a regular camera bag for your DSLR and a small amount of equipment, Peak Design has you covered.
The great thing about this camera sling bag is that you get to cover 2 bases.
One, it allows you to carry hands-free much like a backpack. Second, it allows you to have quick access, much like a messenger bag.
The Peak Design Everyday Sling V2 is compact in size, robust, and lightweight while offering Peak Design’s usual organizational possibilities.
We can’t get enough of the FlexFold dividers. It’s made from weatherproof 500D Kordra.
It can also carry plenty for a Sling bag. You can throw in a gripped Mirrorless, plus two or three lenses, a Macbook or tablet in addition to memory cards, cables, and all the small items.
We would recommend you do not overload this or any sling bag. This is because it’ll tire out whatever shoulder you’re carrying it on.
Even if a sling bag isn’t something you’ve ever shown interest in, do give the Peak Design Everyday Sling V2 a try, you may just become a sling bag fan.
If nothing else, the low-price tag might be the incentive.
- QUICK ADJUSTING PADDED SHOULDER STRAP is reversible with 1-handed quick-pull adjustment and allows...
- 3 INCLUDED FLEXFOLD DIVIDERS give brilliantly customizable and protective internal organization...
- 3 EXTERNAL CARRY STRAPS allow large items or tripods to be attached to the outside of the bag using...
- ULTRAZIP EXTERNAL ZIPPERS are built to withstand decades of use, thanks to abrasion-resistant...
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Weatherproof, 100% recycled nylon canvas shell is DWR impregnated, double...
The WANDRD PRVKE 31 is probably one of the best overall camera bags. It has a minimalist look that makes it appear sleek and modern.
More importantly, the bag maintains protectiveness in harmony with its pleasing aesthetics.
The WANDRD PRVKE 31 will protect your gear thanks to its high-quality build materials and the excellent structure of the bag.
When looking at ergonomics, the WANDRD PRVKE 31 is easily accessible thanks to the 3 different access points.
They are spread throughout the bag. You’ll easily find your way to the entryways due to their intuitive nature.
Additionally, You’ll find a great number of extra hidden pockets in addition to the plenty of other straps you can mount accessories on.
You can store a lot in the WANDRD PRVKE thanks to the rolltop which you can extend. This is very impressive when you consider how lightweight the bag is.
You can install waist straps for better and easier carrying. This bag is especially great for mirrorless camera owners.
If you own full-frame bodies, you may want to keep your equipment load light. Overall, an excellent camera bag.
- PHOTOGRAPHY BUNDLE – Includes 31L Original PRVKE Photography Backpack, Laptop/Tablet sleeve and...
- 3 POINT OF ACCESS - Side Quick Camera Access, Lay-Flat Clamshell Opening, and Adjustable Roll Top....
- QUALITY MATERIAL - Built out of durable and water-resistant tarpaulin and balistic nylon so you...
The Domke F-5XA is one of the finest travel camera bags on the market.
If you’re a traveling videographer and you use smaller camera bodies with only a couple of lenses, this bag is the perfect one to take with you on a trip.
It’s appropriate that Domke advertises this as a traveling bag since it can withstand some truly harsh conditions and will only take a small bit of space.
The humble interior dimensions of this bag aren’t a negative if you use the bag as intended.
You can fit in a small camera with two lenses in the Domke F-5XA comfortably enough.
You can also use the two pockets on the front of the camera bag for your cables, accessories, and maybe your smartphone as well.
The Domke F-5XA weighs virtually nothing. You can use an unbelievably comfortable strap that’ll ensure that your shoulders will remain unstrained.
You can even remove the strap and attach the bag to your belt if you want to reach your camera quickly.
Just make sure you have a strong belt unless you want your pants to fall down.
- Ideal for a digital SLR with a short lens, or a point and shoot plus all your wires and accessories
- Thread your belt through the belt loop for an instant waist pack
- 2 pocket can fit a cell phone, MP3 player or PDA
- Padded main compartment lined with hook and loop material and has one removable padded divider wall
- Main compartment interior dimensions of 7.5 x 4 x 6 - inches
Best Camera Bag – Buyer’s Guide
Before you throw a bag on your shoulders, it might be a good idea to consider these things first.
Camera Bag Size
The camera bag size will depend on how much equipment you have, and if you want to carry it all.
Deciding these things will make it easier to choose the size of the bag you need.
Obviously, if you carry a kit of a large size, you’ll want a bag big enough to carry that stuff.
However, just because you have a large kit doesn’t mean you have to carry it all. Remember that equipment load increases and becomes straining with time.
Camera Bag Style
Choosing the camera bag is pretty easy. However, picking the style of the bag could prove more challenging.
This is where you may get stuck. While there are many options available, you only need to consider what suits your personal taste.
Whether you choose to go with a backpack or a shoulder bag is up to you.
Just keep in mind that the heavier and bigger kits are generally more suitable for backpacks due to their large carrying capacity.
Once you’ve decided the size and style of your camera bag, you only have one thing left to consider. That would be quality.
If you spent your hard-earned money on your camera and kit, there should be no reason for you to cut corners on what you use to protect it. You’ll want the camera bag to be padded for better protection.
It’s also good to find quality zippers as they tend to break first. The exterior fabrics should also be tough resistant to wear.
Best Camera Bags – Wrapping Up
This concludes our guide on the best camera bags on the market.
Remember that what you use to carry and protect the camera and equipment should be just as high quality as its content.
This means you’ll want a premium and good feeling product.
Hopefully, by now you have a good idea of the camera bag types, what each offers and which one is most suitable for you.
You really can’t go wrong with either type as long as you pick what’s most comfortable for you.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab yourself a bag to put your equipment in and go out there to shoot your next project.