Podcast marketing is a form of audio content marketing that uses podcasts to build brand awareness, generate leads and sales, and increase customer loyalty. It is focused on creating a relationship between your brand and listeners.
Podcasts are growing rapidly in popularity, with over 70 million Americans listening to podcasts each month.
However, only 36 percent of businesses are using this medium to market their products or services.
What Is Podcast Marketing?
Podcasting is an effective way for businesses to connect with their customers by providing them with valuable information about their products and services.
It can also help you build trust with potential buyers who may not know much about your company or product line yet.
How Does Podcast Marketing Work?
To create an effective podcast marketing campaign, start by identifying your target audience and determining what type of content would be most helpful to them.
For example, if you’re selling a product that helps people get organized at home, you might create a podcast about organizing various areas of the house (such as home office).
Then find someone in your organization who’s knowledgeable about this topic and has a compelling voice that listeners will enjoy hearing.
Next, record the show using software like GarageBand or Audacity (free options available online) or hire someone who knows how to mix audio.
1. Submit To All Popular Podcast Directories
If you want to get your podcast on iTunes, you have to submit it. And if you want to get into any other popular directory, you have to submit there too.
The good news is that the submission process for most podcast directories is pretty simple. It usually involves filling out a form with basic information about your show and uploading an image of your show’s logo (if they require it).
Most directories also have submission criteria that require certain elements of your show (like episode count) to be met before they’ll accept your podcast.
But generally speaking, as long as you follow the directions provided by each directory, they should accept your submission without any problems.
2. Promote Your Podcast on YouTube
How to Promote Your Podcast on YouTube.
Whether you’re thinking about starting a podcast, or you’re already producing one, YouTube is one of the best ways to get your show out in front of new listeners.
Even though podcasts don’t have a visual component like regular television or movies, they can still be promoted on YouTube by using the same strategies that other types of videos use.
Use Your Channel Art Wisely
Your channel art is the image that appears when someone views your channel on YouTube. It should be eye-catching and representative of the content you publish on your channel.
For example, if you have a cooking show, then use an image that shows off your favorite dish or ingredients. If it’s an educational video series that talks about history topics, then use an image with historical artifacts or buildings in it.
If you don’t have any photos or graphics that fit this description yet, create them! You can hire someone on Fiverr to do this for you or use tools like Canva or PicMonkey to make them yourself at no cost whatsoever.
You’ll want to make sure to include at least one picture of yourself somewhere in this image so viewers can see who they’re watching especially if it’s
3. Podcast Marketing Create Apple Smart Banner
Create Apple Smart Banner
Apple Smart Banners are a great way to advertise your podcast on the iTunes Store. They can be used in all of your iTunes Store assets, including your show page and episode pages.
This article will walk you through creating an Apple Smart Banner and placing it in your marketing materials.
To create an Apple Smart Banner:
- Log into your account at https://podcastsconnect.apple.com/
- Select the “My Podcasts” menu item from the top navigation bar on the left side of the page, then select “Manage My Podcast” from the dropdown menu that appears
- Click on the “Edit” button next to your podcast title in the middle column of icons shown below:
- Scroll down to see all of your podcast cover art options for different devices and platforms (see image below for examples):
- Choose the size you want for each device and platform, then click on “Create Image”
Adding Smart App Banner To Your Podcast Site
Your podcast site is a great place to add a Smart App Banner. When people visit your site, they can discover more about your show and subscribe to it.
To add Smart App Banner to your podcast site:
- Go to the Smart App Banner website at https://smartappbanner.com/welcome/v2/.
- Click on the Get Started button in the right-hand corner of the page.
- Click on Create Your Smart App Banner Account and sign up for an account with your email address and password.
- If you already have an account with us, you can log in by clicking on Log In in the top right corner of the page or by clicking on Sign In from the menu bar at the top of any page on our website (https://smartappbanner.com).
- Once you’ve created an account, click on My Account in the top right corner of any page on our website (https://smartappbanner.com) or at https://smartappbanner.com/myprofile/. If you don’t yet have a profile associated with this account, click on Create New Profile from the menu bar at the top of any page on our website (https://smartappbanner.com
4. Podcast Marketing Invite Guests To Your Show
Invite guests to your show.
Guest interviews are one of the most powerful ways to attract listeners and grow your audience. Guests are often willing to promote the show on social media, which can lead to more downloads and higher rankings in iTunes.
In addition, you can use the guest interview as an opportunity to get feedback from your audience about what they want from future episodes.
The best way to invite guests is by using a cold email outreach campaign. You can use a service like BuzzStream or Contactually to find email addresses for people who would be interested in appearing on your show and then send them personalized emails asking them if they’d like to be a guest on your podcast.
You can use a template like this one:
Subject line: Guest invitation for
I’m writing because I’m creating a new podcast called [show name]. It’s all about [topic] and it will launch in [month/year].
I noticed that you have written some really interesting articles about [topic]. I thought it would be great if we could talk about these topics on my show! Would you be open to being interviewed by me?
Podcast Marketing Ask Your Guests To Share The Episode With Their Email List
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for a while, then you know that I’m a huge fan of Ask Your Guests To Share The Episode With Their Email List.
In fact, it’s a cornerstone of my podcast marketing strategy.
1) It gets people to share your episode with their own email list.
2) It puts you in front of new listeners who may not have heard of you before.
3) It makes your guest feel like an ambassador for your show, which can lead to more goodwill and higher ratings in iTunes and other directories such as Stitcher, Spotify, etc.
4) If enough people share your episode after it airs on their own social media feeds, it could go viral.
Podcast Marketing Sharing On Twitter and Facebook
Podcast Marketing Sharing On Twitter and Facebook:
Podcasting is on the rise, with more and more people tuning into podcasts each month. The benefits of using podcasts for your business are many, but one of the most important things you can do to promote your podcast is to share it on social media.
Sharing a podcast episode is a great way to get your content in front of new users and even get some traffic to your website or blog. If you’re looking for ways to use podcasts in your marketing strategy, this guide will show you how to share episodes on Twitter and Facebook so they reach as many people as possible.
Podcast Marketing Sharing On Instagram
I love Instagram as a marketing tool for podcasting and online business because it’s visual and can be used to share your content with the world. There are so many ways to use Instagram to promote your podcast, so I’ve made this guide on how to do it right!
The first step is to sign up for an Instagram account. If you already have one, great! If not, head over to www.instagram.com and follow the prompts for creating an account.
You’ll need to add some information about yourself (like your name and bio) and choose a username don’t worry too much about the latter, as you can change it later if needed.
Once you’re done signing up, you’ll be prompted to add some photos from your smartphone or tablet device (if you don’t already have any).
5. Podcast Marketing Offer Giveaways in Exchange for Reviews and Shares
Podcast Marketing Offer Giveaways in Exchange for Reviews and Shares.
If you’re looking to grow your podcast audience, one of the best ways to do that is by using giveaways. You can offer free products, services or even cash to people who leave reviews or share your show with their friends and family.
There are a few things you need to know about giveaways before you start offering them on your podcast:
- Giveaways are great for increasing awareness about your show, but they’re not meant for driving sales. If you try running a giveaway for a paid product or service (like an ebook), it will likely fail because people won’t feel like they need it enough to pay for it. If you run an ebook giveaway, make sure it’s free!
- Giveaways work best when you’re offering something relevant to your audience not just any old thing that would be fun to win! For example, if you have a financial advice show, don’t offer a $50 Amazon gift card if people leave 5 stars on iTunes and write a review on Apple Podcasts; instead give away something related like a book on personal finance or a subscription service like Mint (which helps track spending). When choosing prizes
6. Podcast Marketing Paid Promotions Using PPC Ads
The first thing to do is to set up a PPC campaign for your podcast. This can be done in a few different ways, but essentially it means that you’re going to be paying for people to see your ads.
The easiest way to do this is by using Google AdWords, and setting up an ad group that targets keywords related to your show.
So let’s say that you have a podcast on cooking and food called “Cooking with Ian.” You could target keywords like “recipes,” “cooking,” “food,” “recipe,” etc., or even more specific ones like “recipe for chicken parmesan” or “recipe for lasagna.”
You can also choose whether or not you want users who are searching for those terms in the United States or internationally, depending on where most of your listeners live.
Once you have your keyword list created, you can start creating ads that will appear whenever someone searches those terms on Google (or YouTube). For example, if someone searches “recipes for chicken parmesan” then they’ll see an ad from Ian’s PPC campaign that says something like: “Get my new recipe book here.” They’ll click on
7. Podcast Marketing Network With Other Podcast Hosts
If you are a podcast host and you want to help promote your fellow podcasters, then this is the place for you.
The Podcast Marketing Network was created to help podcast hosts promote each other. We call it “promoting” but what it really is, is cross-promoting.
All of us are in the same boat so why not help each other out?
To join the network simply sign up for an account and fill out your profile information (link below). Once you have done that, post a comment on this page saying something like “I’m a podcast host and I’m interested in joining the network.”
It’s that easy!
Once we get enough hosts on board we will work together to create an awesome directory of podcasts that covers all things related to podcasting including hosting sites, equipment, software and more!
Podcast Marketing – Frequently Asked Questions
Podcasts are a great way to reach your target audience in a personalized and engaging way. But how do you go about launching and marketing your podcast?
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about podcast marketing:
What is a podcast?
A podcast is an audio file that can be downloaded from the internet and listened to at any time. It is similar in concept to a radio show, but you can listen to it on demand rather than having to tune in at a specific time.
Why should I start a podcast?
Podcasts are an excellent way to build credibility and authority with your audience. They also provide an opportunity for you to connect with people who would otherwise not have access to your information or services, such as those who prefer audio over reading text on websites or blogs.
And finally, podcasts are an effective way for companies in B2B industries to communicate with their customers, prospects and partners without having to spend as much money on advertising as they would if they were using other types of media such as print advertising or television commercials.
Podcast Marketing – Wrapping Up
The time has come to wrap up this guide. We’ve covered a lot of ground in the past few articles, so let’s take a quick look back at what we’ve learned.
You now know how to choose the right podcast host for your show and how to get started with creating episodes.
You also know how to attract listeners by using Twitter, Facebook and other social media.
We’ve also talked about:
- How to grow your audience through email marketing (and why it matters),
- How to use Google Play Music Podcasts and iTunes Podcasts (and why it matters),
- How to make money from your podcast (and why it matters).