One of the most exciting aspects of filmmaking is finding a balance between audio and visual components to create the desired emotional reaction.
Silence and the absence of words can be just as powerful as music and prose.
The first battle scene in The Hunger Games uses soft instrumentals as a juxtaposition to the violence, creating a sense of shock.
The music picks up with frenetic energy showcasing panic and adrenaline. Still, no other sound effects or voices are heard.
Christopher Nolan boldly defended his audio mixing in Interstellar, particularly during the explosion scene.
Not only did the absence of sound have a powerful effect, but it also replicated the environment and drew the audience in.
Of course, this magic is created in the editing room by removing portions of the audio and manipulating the sound according to your vision.
Here are five easy ways to remove the audio from your video.
Removing Audio With Movavi Video Editor
Movavi Video Editor is video editing software for both PC and Mac. In addition to simplifying the audio removal process, this software also makes it easy to add stock background music and play with sound mixing.
- Install the Movavi Video Editor software onto your Mac or PC, following the instructions provided by the installation pop-up.
- Click the file icon at the top left of your screen. Choose “File Import” on the pop-out menu.
- Click the “Add Files” button under the Import heading.
- Drag the files to your timeline (below) for editing.
- Click the audio bar below your video clips on the timeline.
- Click the trash icon that appears on the bar on top of the timeline.
- Click the “Export” button on the right side of the screen to save and export your video when ready.
You can also add music to the video by navigating to the “File Import” tab and selecting the relevant option in the pop-out menu. Remove certain sections of audio with the clip trimming feature by clicking the scissor icon in your timeline menu.
If you want to separate your audio rather than deleting it, click the audio bar and drag it down. This will save the audio and allow you to export it as a separate entity from the video.
Other Notable Features
Movavi Video Editor Plus is simple to navigate and offers practical features for creative and business movie creators alike.
Use this program to add subtitles, make audio-only podcasts, add transitions, and more. The user-friendly interface makes Movavi Video Editor Plus easy to operate and learn.
Removing Audio With iMovie
The challenge with iMovie is the learning curve. While the program is targeted toward beginners, it has many robust features for aspiring filmmakers. It’s worth investing in additional training if you plan to use iMovie as your primary editing software.
- Download iMovie on your Mac or iPhone. Some versions come with iMovie automatically installed. Otherwise, it’s free in the App store.
- iMovie opens on the Projects page. You can find the “Projects” tab at the top of your screen next to “Media.”
- Click the “Create New” icon on the left of the screen on the “Projects” tab. Select “Movie” from the dropdown menu.
- Use Finder to open your media file, then drag and drop your video to the timeline on the new movie page you’ve created. You can also click “File” then “Import Media.”
- Right-click your imported video on the timeline. Select “Detach Audio” from the menu. This will render your video clips blue and your audio clips green to show their separation.
- Right-click the audio track and hit “Delete” to remove the audio entirely.
You can also split clips on iMovie and delete parts of the audio track or edit them separately.
Other Notable Features
iMovie covers all the basics for new filmmakers at a low cost or free. It’s also ideal for making short, promotional videos. Unfortunately, it’s not available on Windows or Android devices and gets glitchy with MP4 files.
Removing Audio With VLC
VLC offers minimal functionality for video editing. This open-source media player is free and has a few basic functions— including the ability to remove audio from MP4 files.
While this option may not be ideal for longer-term film projects, it’s quick, easy to use, and works in a pinch.
- Download the application on your Mac or iPad and open the application.
- Open the “File” menu in the top toolbar and select “Convert/Stream” from the dropdown menu.
- Click the “Open Media” button and select your video.
- Under the “Choose Profile” section, click “Customize”
- Navigate to the “Audio Codec” tab and click the “Audio” checkbox in the top-left corner. Then, hit “Apply” in the bottom-right corner.
- On the “Convert & Stream” page, click save to make the changes.
- Download the program on your PC and open the application.
- Open the “Media” menu in the top toolbar and select “Convert/Save” from the dropdown menu.
- In the “Open Media” pop-up, click the “Add…” button at the right of the screen.
- On the “Convert” page, click the wrench icon.
- Navigate to the “Audio Codec” tab on the “Profile Edition” page and click the “Audio” checkbox in the top-left corner. Then, hit “Save” in the bottom-right corner.
- On the “Convert” page, pick a file destination and click “Start” to make the changes.
This process will remove the audio and save the video on both Apple and Windows devices.
Other Notable Features
VLC supports various file formats and is ideal for secure streaming. Open-source makes it free, as it’s supported by a non-profit organization. Unfortunately, it’s not right for other editing needs and is primarily used for viewing.
Removing Audio With Media.io Audio Remover
Media.io Audio Remover (formerly UniConverter) is a free cloud-based video converter that will remove the audio from your video with the click of a button. It supports all video formats and offers quick results.
- On the Media.io webpage, open the “Tools” dropdown menu at the top. Click “See All” at the bottom right of the dropdown.
- Scroll down to the video tools and select “Mute Video.”
- Click the “Choose Files” button and select your file. The process will begin automatically.
- Click the “Download” button when the video is done.
Occasionally, the Media.io mute page will redirect to the editing studio. You can also mute the video here.
Other Notable Features
Media.io has evolved recently. It has several features that let you add music, reverse your video, and basic edits with an affordable tiered pricing system.
Removing Audio With AceMovi Video Editor
AceMovi Video Editor is an intuitive video editing program created by TunesKit. It offers the basics of movie editing on a tiered pricing scale for simple projects.
- Download the AceMovi Video Editor program and launch it on your desktop.
- Navigate to the file icon on the sidebar and click the “Import” button to upload your video.
- When the video is imported, left-click the thumbnail in the import window. This action will bring it up in the editing window to the right.
- Right-click the video on the editing page and select “detach audio” to separate the video and audio files.
- Right-click the audio bar and select “delete” to remove the audio entirely. This action will create a green audio bar in the timeline below.
- Right-click the audio bar and select “Delete” to remove it entirely. Then, hit “Export” to save.
Other Notable Features
AceMovi Video Editor is a simple editing program that covers the basics and works on both Mac and PC.
Unfortunately, you can’t export audio-only files from AceMovi Video Editor.
Important Considerations When Removing Audio
Before you remove the audio from your video, determine how you want to use it. Muting is the best option if your goal is to elevate your sound mixing with music or to fade in or out.
If the goal is to remove sound from the file completely, delete the audio before exporting. You can also filter background audio or separate vocal components to fine-tune your work.
It’s integral to save backup copies of your raw footage before you start editing. Even professional filmmakers hit the wrong button during a long editing process.
Ideally, you’ll have three backup copies. This is called the 3-2-1 rule of editing: three copies in two backup folders, one stored offsite.
While cloud storage and auto-save features are lifesavers, it’s best to be prepared.
Finally, choose the right editing software for your needs. While the online solutions are fine for removing audio, having a centralized editing program is best for big projects.
Take some time to explore the options and find the appropriate tool for your needs.
Remove Audio From Your Video – Final Thoughts
Film editing is not only about astonishing visual effects but also about clear audio.
Playing with sound is a powerful way to transform your footage and create an immersive atmosphere for the viewer.
Silence and music often speak louder than words. Don’t hesitate to play with sound mixing and experiment with audio removal.