Regardless of your camera’s specs, lenses sometimes do make all the difference in the world. Whether you’ve decided to take on close-up shots, indoors, or sports, a new lens for your Sony Alpha 7 might be the ideal solution to your problems.
When picking a lens for your camera, a number of important factors come into play. In this guide, we put our emphasis on all-round performance. And if you’re a traveling photographer or videographer, you might prioritize lightweight lenses and quality over a less expensive price.
Let’s jump in!
Best High-End Lenses for Sony a7
Let’s first take a look at what we consider the best high-end lenses for the Sony Alpha 7.
This wide-angle prime lens was designed for full-frame cameras and it’s hands down a fantastic lens. Despite the price, it’s worth every penny with its amazing image quality and beautiful bokeh.
It covers full-frame cameras, as well as APS-C. This product was labeled by many experts as the benchmark Sony wide-angle lens and for good reason.
The Sony FE 24mm is one of the few surprisingly compact wide-angle lenses out there. It is an awesome combination of bokeh, speed, high resolution, and comfort. You can shoot especially amazing photos with this lens in combination with the Sony Alpha a7R III.
This is hands down one of the best lenses for the Sony a7. The only downside is that it has a pretty hefty price tag.
- Focal length of 24 mm.
- Length of 92mm (3.62”)
- No optical stabilization.
- Weighs only 445 grams. (15.7 oz)
- Two XA elements and a linear AF motor.
- Features an 11-blade circular aperture.
- Dust and moisture resistance.
- A fairly hefty price tag.
- Compact Master wide prime Lens w/stunning wide-open resolution
- F1.4 max aperture provides extraordinary exposure and Depth of field
- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh
- Two XA elements for natural, lifelike high resolution results
- In the box: Hood (ALC-SH154), Lens front cap (ALC-F67S), Lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), Case
The Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM is a very high-performance lens specialized in portrait shots for mirrorless cameras.
With minimal lateral and longitudinal fringing, it totally fends off ghosting and flare. Aside from portrait use, this lens is amazing for doing video work.
A very good fit for the Sony a7II, in particular. The superb optics come at a high price to match its outstanding performance. It has excellent bokeh and is ultrasharp at most settings, especially the f/1.4.
Works on all Sony E-mount cameras, both crop-sensor, and full-frame. Always an advantage.
- Dimensions of Diameter x Length: 89.5mm x 107.5mm or (3.52 x 4.23”).
- Filter-thread of 77mm.
- Minimum focus distance of 80 cm or 2.62’.
- Heavier than others on the list: 820 grams or (28.9 oz).
- No optical stabilization.
- Has silent autofocus.
- Aperture range from f/1.4 to f/16.
- A somewhat expensive price.
- Bigger and heavier than most lenses.
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Minimum Focus Distance : AF 2.79 ft, MF 2.62 ft, Maximum Magnification ratio (x) - 0.13 x,...
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16 , Filter Diameter (mm) - 67 mm
- One XA Element and Three ED Elements, Nano AR Coating
- Linear SSM Focus System.Weight:820 g.Dust and moisture resistant design.Angle of View (35 mm):29°
If you are a Sony Alpha user looking for an extremely high-quality wide-angle zoom lens, this is it. With an excellent build quality and 11 blade rounded aperture diaphragm, it delivers a very clean and beautiful bokeh.
Like other G Master (GM) lenses, this build comes with a full set of weather-seals and a rubber seal for the mounting plate. It also has a detachable hood. But the biggest advantage of this model is the quick autofocus speed which is near silent at the same time.
The Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM will bring to your work a great sharpness and contrast. It also does an impeccable job of fending off flare and ghosting.
With stunning optics and a very silent and fast focus, this lens is the perfect partner for cameras like the Alpha A7R III 42MP and the A7R IV, 62-megapixel newer release.
- Dimensions: Diameter 89mm x 122mm length (3,5’’ x 4,8”).
- A focal length of 16-35mm (24 – 52.5 mm APS-C).
- Has a maximum aperture of f/2.8.
- Filter thread of 82mm.
- Weighs 680 grams or (24 oz).
- No image stabilizer.
- Minimum focus distance: 28cm.
- Comes with a fairly expensive price tag.
- Is not as wide as the FE 12-24mm.
- Designed to achieve 50 Line pairs/mm resolving power
- Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements w/ high surface precision. Minimum focus distance - 0.28 m...
- Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and Depth of field. Hood Type : Petal shape, bayonet...
- Uncompromising G Master design for smooth bokeh and high resolution. Angle of View (35 mm):...
- In-the-box: hood, lens front cap, lens rear cap, case, Mount: Sony E-mount
The Best Value Lenses for Sony a7
Now let’s take a look at a few value lenses for your Sony Alpha 7.
The 35mm f/1.8 full-frame lens is small, compact, and clocks in at a very light weight of 281 grams or 9.9 oz. It is compatible with any Sony E-mount (APS-C and full-frame).
This little weather and dust resistant lens is quite durable and easy to use for a wide variety of indoor and outdoor projects. It is a perfect choice for traveling photographers due to its elegant bokeh and durable build.
This lens is one of the few that have actually been manufactured due to public demand on Sony’s social media platforms. People wanted a more affordable and simpler version of a great performance lens like the 12-24mm F4 ones. This gave birth to the Sony FE 35 mm F 1.8. The rest, as they say, is history.
- Dimensions: Diameter: 66mm X Length: 73mm (2.6” x 2.9”).
- Minimum lens focus: 22cm (8.7’’).
- Weather and dust resistance.
- Has a focal length of 35 mm or the equivalent of 52mm on APS-C bodies.
- Max magnification of 0.24X.
- Weights: only 281 grams. (9.9 oz).
- No optical stabilization.
One of the best fits for the Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 is the A7 III camera due to the size, weight, and cost of the lens. Not only that, but it is also a great fit on higher-resolution sensor cameras like the A7R IV or A7R III.
- High resolution and large aperture full-frame performance in a compact and lightweight lens
- Standard prime lens with fast F1. 8 aperture
- Quiet, reliable AF tracking for excellent movies as well as stills
- 9-Blade Circular aperture for beautiful, smooth bokeh
- Ismart optical construction including an aspherical element for high corner-to-corner resolution
The Sony FE 28mm f/2 version covers all full-frame and APS-C cameras. It comes with a 49mm filter and weighs only 200 grams or 7.1 oz.
It’s a flyweight wide-angle lens that packs a great punch in low light conditions. This is a top pick for photographers or videographers traveling on a budget, as it is the most affordable of the bunch. Yes, one of the great selling points of this lens is its very competitive price tag, especially compared to similar lenses on the market.
This compact lens has a very silent autofocus and does it almost instantly. Reviews show no complaints of ghosting or flare.
- Dimensions: Diameter: 2.52” x 2.36” length.
- Weight: only 200 grams (7.1 oz).
- Has very silent autofocus and a quick aperture.
- Focal Length of 28mm. Perfect lens for APS-C cameras.
- 49mm filter thread.
- No optical stabilization.
- Very beautiful bokeh.
- Has an electronic manual focus ring, and not a direct mechanical one.
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, Outstanding optical performance in...
- Angle of view (35 mm)75 °,Angle of view (APS-C) 54 °.Minimum Focus Distance : 0.96 ft(AF) / 0.82...
- Dust and moisture resistant design, 9-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh, ED...
- Compact and lightweight design matches a7 series beautifully, A linear actuator focusing mechanism...
- Mounting Type: Sony E
This is a sharp, affordable, and lightweight lens that also is quite versatile. With a maximum aperture of f/1.8, this lens shoots gorgeous bokeh. It avoids any chromatic aberration as well as distortion, putting it distinctly into a bracket with other more high-end lenses.
The Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 brings in an excellent quick and punctual autofocus, which works even in dark closed spaces. It is a good pick for portrait photographers that want to produce great blurred backgrounds and crisp images in focus.
- Dimensions: 3,07” x 3,23” Diameter x Length (78 x 82mm).
- Maximum aperture f/1.8.
- Focal length of 85mm.
- 9 blade aperture.
- Dust, moisture resistant.
- No image stabilization.
- Has a stronger vignette at wider f-stops than other options.
- Wide F1.8 maximum aperture enables beautiful defocusing effects
- 9-Blade circular aperture creates beautiful round defocused bokeh
- ED glass element for corner-to-corner sharpness
- Double Linear motor system for fast, quiet and precise focusing. The maximum magnification ratio is...
- Direct control w/ customizable focus hold button and AF/MF switch.35 mm equivalent focal length...
Final Word on the Best Lens For Sony a7
Sony A7 cameras are compatible with a versatile range of lenses. If you are looking for a budget lens that allows for amazing portrait photos and an ample bokeh, the Sony FE 35mm F/1.8 is a great choice.
On the other hand, if you are not easily scared by a bit more expensive lenses, or you are looking for an all-around high-end lens like The Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM or Sony FE 85 mm f/1.4 GM should be your top picks.
We hope this article on the best lens for the Sony a7 has helped you make a buying decision. Did we miss out a notable Sony lens? Let us know in the comments below.