Are you looking for the best lightweight tripod that you can carry without having to worry about the extra baggage? Here we list down the Top 12 lightweight and travel-friendly tripods to suit your needs.
Do you like to capture sunsets, beautiful landscapes, time-lapse videos, flowing water, or maybe you shoot more complex video projects?
If the answer to these is yes, then you need a tripod. Tripods are meant to be taken around with you, not only to be kept in a studio. In this article, we’re looking at tripods that are lightweight and easy to transport around whilst you’re on the move.
Whether you’re searching for the best travel tripod that fits your budget, or you’re looking to take something on a backpacking trip, you’ll find a list here of our favorite lightweight tripods that will d the job for you.
Best Lightweight Tripod
It took us some time to put this detailed list together, so you have all the research and buying options in one place!
So without further ado, let’s jump in!
The AmazonBasics Lightweight Mini Tripod comes in a stainless steel body and is compatible with the GoPro and other small digital cameras, and not with a DSLR.
It is lightweight with a mere 3.89 ounces on the scale and small. The extension is from 4.76” to 7.5” that makes it easy to travel with. You can get a good panoramic shot. The mini ball moves with a 360-degree rotation as well as a 90-degree tilt.
The metal legs and feet are adjustable and give lots of stability to the shot. This tripod basically fulfills your tiny little tripod needs since it is handy and good to take on trips. It is the best budget tripod if you are looking to go with something low on the pocket.
It comes with a zippered bag case, inside which is the tripod that boasts of 2 inbuilt bubble view levels and its mounting plate facilitates quick release, all of which compiles together the 3 lbs weight of this tripod.
Yes, it’s a little on the heavier side but what makes it an absolute deal-breaker is its affordable pricing.
If you’re someone who’s starting out with photography and want to check the waters, this might be the best tripod to get started. And with the AmazonBasics brand, you know you’re getting something competitively priced and of the solid overall design and build.
- Strong with the metal body all around.
- The legs do not spread very far because it is tiny.
- Does not come with a tension holder.
- Mini tripod with adjustable-height metal legs and rubber feet
- Compatible with small digital cameras (not DSLRs), GoPro devices, and smartphone adapters (not...
- Recommended max load weight is 1.1 lbs (0.5kg) for optimal performance
- Small and lightweight for travel; extends from 4.76-inches to 7.5-inches
- Mini ball head for 360-degree rotation and 90-degree tilt
A great addition to the awesome Manfrotto line! The special Twist locks actually serve to untwist a lot of things related to the setting up of the tripod.
It considerably reduces the time involved in getting your tripod ready and raring to go which can be a huge advantage if you come across a sudden moment that you wish to capture.
The only area where this aluminum-made tripod falls short a little is its folded length and load capacity which are 17.7” and 15.4 lbs respectively.
The 190 Go Aluminum Tripod from Manfrotto solid support weighing 3.7 lb that extends up to 57.5″ high and folds down to 17.7″. utilize twist locks, the tripod can be speedily set up and broken down with an easy twirl of the wrist.
The middle column on the 190go! can be situated at a 90° angle, similar to the ground, allow the tripod to make its lowly height of just 2.75″.
An Easy Link adapter accessory allows direct connection between tripods and accessories, such as LED lights for macro photography and DSLR video applications using Manfrotto articulated arms and brackets.
A built-in spring assists with the sloping motion of the head by compensating for heavier lenses and cameras with off-center loads. A 200LT-PL fast discharge plate is included for rapidly attaching and removing your camera from the head.
- Made in Italy with world-class quality standards
- Quick and easy to use professional tripod
- Fast operating M-lock mechanism
- Shoot from all angles with a 90deg. rotating camera tripod
- Easy link makes connecting camera tripod accessories simple
The AmazonBasics Lightweight Camera Mount Tripod comes with an aluminum body. This makes it lighter on the scale at 1.25 pounds. It is compatible with your average DSLR.
The tripod is equipped with a 3-way head that enables it to tilt and swivel. So the portrait and landscapes are easy to shoot. It also gives a relatively faster transition between shots because of a mounted quick-release plate.
It is about 16.5” originally and goes up to 50” when extended and can carry a load that does not exceed 4.4 pounds. This makes it incompatible with heavy and high-end DSLR. But hey, it comes with a bag if you do not already have one.
The angle adjustment and stability allows you to capture a fairly good shot.
- It gives a fair extension.
- Fairly lightweight for the height.
- There is a faster transition between shots because of the quick-release plate.
- Has a bag. Always a good touch!
- Wobbly when fully extended.
- Incompatible with any heavy DSLR.
- Adjustable-height tripod made of lightweight aluminum; weighs just over a pound
- 3-way head allows for tilt and swivel motion; portrait or landscape options
- Quick-release plate helps ensure fast transitions between shots
- 3-section, lever-lock legs for easy height adjustments; zippered storage bag included
- Measures 16.5 inches (collapsed); extends up to 50 inches
A second option in the list by Manfrotto, the Befree provides an impressive package for someone looking to just pick up a tripod as they would pick up a water bottle. It has a load capacity of 17.6 lbs and an adjustable height range of 16.1 to 59.1″.
Whilst its material is purely carbon fiber, the Manfrotto’s Advanced 494 Aluminum Centre Ball Head enriches this tripod with a quick-release plate.
If you’re a professional of sorts, you no more need a heavily accessorized tripod for the Befree supports the addition of reflectors and lights to enhance your outdoor shots.
Sporting a 17.6lb load capability at a weight of only 3.6lb, this black Befree complex Travel Tripod from Manfrotto is a robust carry option that can serve as a suitable travel buddy for professional photographers and obsessive hobbyists alike.
It is made of aluminum alloy and reaches a maximum height of 59.1″ with its column extensive, flopped down to 15.7″ in length for basic transport in its included moving case.
Each leg of the Befree higher is composed of four sections, which can be used to and strongly locked into place with the QPL lever locks found on all segments.
A side-pull selector allows you to set up the tripod at three special angle configurations, enabling low angle shooting with the simple push of a button.
A simple relation accessory is available at the top part of the leg section and allows you to connect friendly accessories such as flashes or reflectors.
This enables you to use the tripod as a support organization and reduce the amount of gear you need to carry as traveling.
Rubberized feet are used to keep away from skidding and help keep the Befree Advanced stable in most types of terrain.
At last, an incorporated hook found at the bottom can be used to add weight and increase the solidity of your tripod when shooting in more difficult situations.
- PORTABLE: Intuitive to use and easy to configure, this travel tripod is convenient in all travel...
- COMPACT: The exclusive M-Lock locking system has a Twist closure that leaves no protruding parts and...
- COMBINABLE: The supplied plate is compatible with the most common standard head attachments -...
- VERSATILE: Allows you to change the perspective and tripod height without losing the camera's focus....
- COMPLETE: The 494 aluminium ball head allows you to position the camera quickly and precisely,...
If you’re looking for a tripod that gives you undisputed panorama quality and finesses, look no further than the MeFoto GlobeTrotter Travel Tripod.
Its 360 degrees panning ability with utmost smoothness plus the stability that it has, given its two leg angle positions, are hard to look past. It has a load capacity of 26.4 lbs and a height range of 16.1 to 64.2”.
With a folded length of 16.5” and a weight of 3.7 lbs, it is definitely not the most compact tripod on the list but there are other criteria where it stands out, credit to its Precision Matched Q Series Ballhead and Recessed Center-Column Hook.
The tripod’s legs can be spread independently with two-position leg angle stops. The Global Trotter is actually two cameras support in one: a foam-cushioned, removable leg attached to the center column to convert to a full-sized monopod.
The black MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Kit offers a sturdy compact tripod that extends to 64.2”, supports up to 26.4 lb, and folds down to just over 16”.
For an extra measure of flexibility, tripods legs can be independently locked into place at two different angles to enable shooting in cramped quarters, on uneven terrain, or at low camera angles.
A spring-loaded recessed hook, located in the bottom of the center column, allows you to hang a heavy object from the tripod’s center of gravity for increased stability.
MeFoto’s rubberized locking grips combined with anti-rotation legs enable a fast and fumble-free setup plus weather and dust resistance. Each Mefoto tripod comes with its own carrying case for transport and protection.
The bubble level allows you to make accurate adjustments for seamless panoramas. Individual locking knobs make adjustments easy.
- The MeFOTO GlobeTrotter is a compact travel camera tripod that folds up inversely and turns into a...
- 360-degree Panning: Accurate panoramas can be easily orchestrated using the graduated panning scale...
- Recessed Center-Column Hook: A spring loaded recessed hook, located in the bottom of the...
- Precision Matched Q Series Ballhead: Dual action heavy-duty ballhead with Arca-Swiss style...
- Compact: The tripod legs can be inverted and folded back 180 degrees making it small enough to carry...
A top contender for No. 1 option on this list is the carbon fiber crafted Peak Design model which comes with a load capacity of 20 lbs and a height range of 5.6 to 51.6”.
When folded, it can be encompassed within a water bottle container since its folded length is just 15.2”.
There are no protruding knobs and with its shock-absorbing feet and weather-resistant materials, the Peak Design product is a complete winner under normal tripods comparison, let alone the lightness.
20lb weight capability (optimized for a full-frame DSLR + telephoto lens). Low and inverted modes place your camera inches off the ground. Integrated load hanging hook. Nonslip, shock-absorbing feet. Built-in and stowable mobile mount Securely grip any phone/case.
The Travel Tripod brings you pro-level stability, load capability, and deployed height, yet packs down to the diameter of a water bottle. Unique design allows quicker, easier setup/takedown. Secure, fast, and ergonomic camera quick release. Fast-locking, low profile leg cams.
Weather and impact-resistant materials. All parts are helpful, cleanable, and replaceable. Includes a padded, weatherproof case. Guaranteed for life.
Peak Design Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Overview Boasting impressive specs, the tripod height adjusts from 5.5 to 60″, folds down to only 15.5″, holds up to 20 lb, and is constructed from Carbon fiber.
For fast deployment, the five-section aluminum leg cams can be released at the same time.
- The Travel Tripod brings you pro-level stability, load capacity, and deployed height, yet packs down...
- Unique design allows quicker, easier setup/takedown. Secure, fast, and ergonomic camera quick...
- 20lb weight capacity (optimized for a full-frame DSLR + telephoto lens). Low and inverted modes...
- Built-in and stowable mobile mount. Securely grips any phone/case .
- Weather and impact-resistant materials. All parts are serviceable, cleanable, and replaceable....
The lightest tripod on the list is the GorillaPod 5K by Joby. Launched recently, it has gained wide popularity and curiosity, given its extraordinary lightweight.
This tripod is amazingly compact in its appearance and surprisingly still manages a load capacity of nearly 11 lbs.
It has flexible legs and supports both DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. The manufacturers have used anodized Aluminum and have cut down the height range to just 15.2″ to give it its sizable nature.
With the Joby GorillaPod 5K, you can just take stable shots with the camera in your hands all the time. And neither can you always find that correct angle you’re looking for without some help.
In vlogging, you are absolutely gonna need a tripod. The Joby Gorillapod 5K is as good quality as it gets.
These tripods are intended to hold cameras weighing as much as 5 kgs.
The legs are made of anodized aluminum so you don’t have to be troubled about whether it can hold in place, it can.
Use it as a grip, a stand, or wrap it around some risky place. You can be sure this will get the job done. The Gorillapod 5K is absolutely a grand set of legs for your vlogging instrument.
Built for the Pro. Machined aluminum GorillaPod plus precision-engineered sphere head with Arca-Swiss® well-suited quick release plate.
Can be configured for still photography, picture making, vlogging, or live streaming in 3 modes: grip, wrap, or stand. Supports professional cameras and devices weighing up to 11 lbs. Also fits the Ballhead X Quick-Release plate.
Flexible tripod & optional ball head for SLR cameras with zoom lenses weighing up to 3kg (6.6 lb).
Grip it, wrap it, stand it, wrappable legs allow you to secure specialized camera tackles to virtually any surface. Arca-Swiss system compatible quick release plate stays connected to the camera for instant set-up.
- Flexible: Grip it, wrap it, stand it, wrappable legs allow you to secure professional camera...
- Efficient: Arca-Swiss system compatible quick release plate stays connected to camera for instant...
- Accurate: Numbered scale on base lets you accurately repeat 360 Degree pans, secondary knob locks...
- Modular: Works with JOBY pro-level accessories, including grip tight pro mounts, GorillaPod arms and...
- Stable and Durable: The Anodized construction delivers confident positioning in challenging terrain
The makers of Punks Corey claim that this 3.4 lbs tool is “The perfect travel option for photographers who need their tripod to be as compact as possible.” And there is substantial evidence to support this claim.
There are fewer tripods out there that boast a 30 lbs load capacity after being only 13.7″ when folded.
With aircraft-grade magnesium alloy, height range of 7.3 to 59″, detachable monopod leg, and changeable footwear for usage on any surface, the Punks Corey is a powerhouse package of compactness and class.
A powerful little micro-traveler with a serious attitude. Corey is our entry-level micro-traveler system.
Featuring many of the same technologies that are found on our professional ranges, but made of durable, aircraft-grade Magnesium Alloy, Corey is the perfect travel option for photographers who need their tripod to be as compact as possible.
Punks Corey is a new production of 3 Legged Thing micro traveler tripods. filled full of features, with unexpected functionality and facility, the new Corey tripod is our best ever Punks tripod designed for traveling.
With 5 section legs and a 2 section column, Corey extends to an effective height, whilst retaining the ability to fold down to a very compact size for contents.
The tripod has a load capacity of 14kg / 30lbs, Corey is the perfect combination of weight, size, and capacity for photographers of all genres and abilities.
- Ultra-compact - folds to just 35 cm / 13.67 "
- Recommended for travel photography
- Full size detachable monopod
- Load capacity 10kg/ 22lb
- 5 year global warranty
The Sumcoo 53″ Aluminum Lightweight Portable Tripod is a good investment for a lightweight and extendable tripod.
It consists of a high-quality aluminum alloy and ensures stability when capturing a photo. It is also fairly light, weighing only 0.6 kg. The three legs can be adjusted, and the flip-locks allow you to change the shooting height from 16” to 53” very quickly.
The feet have fitted rubber at the ends that make it versatile to be used on uneven surfaces with ease. It is the best lightweight tripod for backpacking.
The 3-way pan head can rotate to 360 degrees. That provides you with access to handle all movements with comfort. It also has a direction handle as well as a build-in-bubble level. This helps you to take good photos.
It is also good on your pocket, and the phone holder is equipped with a rubber hold, which keeps your phone in place. It has a minimum height of 41cm/16″m that becomes only 42.5cm (16.7″) when it is folded.
- Perfect for traveling.
- Rotates to a whopping 360 degrees.
- Can change the shooting height in a matter of seconds.
- The clamp is tight.
- 【Stable & Durable】Made of premium aluminum alloy, solid triangle structure and anti-slippery...
- 【Portable & Extendable】Height extendable from 16" to 53", and only weights 1.28lbs, this tripod...
- 【3-Way Pan Head】With the 360°rotary 3-way pan head, you can freely adjust any movement from...
- 【Universal Phone Holder & Wireless Remote】The width of phone holder is extendable from 2.3inch...
- 【100% Customer Satisfaction】The package comes with 1x tripod for phone and camera, 1x phone...
The LINKCOOL 42″ Aluminum Lightweight Portable Camera Tripod is very compatible and convenient tripod to use with a range of cameras and phones.
This tripod is very lightweight, with only 0.96lb in total. The height is also adjustable according to your requirements from just 14” to 42”.
The functionally includes the panoramic ball head tripod of the DSLR Camera tripod 360° with a fast release board: You can take pictures at any angle. The shooting is great with an amazing panoramic view.
The design is classy with a sleek body. The wireless Bluetooth capability enables a good range of up to 30 feet. It is compatible with iOS and Android, Samsung, and Google Pixel mobile phones.
- High quality and lightweight.
- 3 direction lever-lock legs.
- Camera tripod 360-degree panoramic rotation.
- The aluminum body is not very sturdy.
- A little on the fragile side.
- 【Multi-Functional Tripod Kit】This versatile tripod fits a variety of cell phones. Perfect for...
- 【3-Way Pan and 360° Panoramas】The 3-way pan and tilt head, which includes a pan handle .The...
- 【Bluetooth Remote Shutter】Make your hands free. You can take pictures or videos by this flexible...
- 【Adjustable-height Tripods】Made of lightweight aluminum alloy legs with quick-release flip-lock...
- 【What You Get】 The package includes a phone tripod, a phone holder, an adapter for Gopro and a...
The Endurax 60” Camera Tripod is a great very lightweight tripod for use with your Android phone or iPhone. The aluminum body gives it a sturdy and lightweight functionality.
It gives a great 360-degree panoramic view and the quick-release plate allows you to detach your phone in seconds, without any hassle. The height is 60”, and the tripod weighs about 1.3 lbs.
The price and performance are up to the mark. It is also very versatile to use.
- Sturdy and steady.
- Achieve any angle.
- Strong compatibility.
- It can be used both with a phone and a camera.
- The capacity of this tripod is 6.6 lbs. This makes it incompatible with a heavy and high-end device.
- 63" HEIGHT & LIGHT WEIGHT - Endurax Tripod for camera weight is only1.5 lb, measures 18" collapsed...
- UNIVERSAL PHONE MOUNT - The BEST phone mount included for video recording, live streaming, taking...
- PREMIUM & HIGH QUALITY - Made of high-quality aluminum material to offer ultra durability and...
- WIRELESS SHUTTER - Equipped with bluetooth remote to be compatible with iPhone 8/8 Plus, iphone...
- LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY - All of Endurax products come with two years warranty, any dissatisfactions...
Bored of all the carbon fiber laden tripods? Here is an aluminum one for a change. It weighs just 2.9 lbs and has a load capacity of nearly 9 times its weight.
A feature peculiar to the Ranger is that it has a removable leg that can be used as an alpenstock in case you’re wandering off in the hilly terrains for hiking.
It has an adjustable height range of 7.9 to 56” and a length of 14.2” when folded which makes it a good portable travel tripod.
- ➽LOW ANGLE AND MACRO VIEW ENABLED: With an included short attachment(3.6”), you can shoot at a...
- ➽DETACHABLE MONOPOD: Our TYCKA Rangers Tripod also features a removable leg (with foam grip) that...
- ➽EASY SET-UP AND PORTABLE: Four-segment poles with quick release flip-locks allow you to adjust...
- ➽360°PANORAMA AND ULTRA STABLE: With two independent control knobs, the specially designed...
- ➽GUARANTEE: Backed by our industry-leading 24-Month warranty. We stand behind our products. Please...
If low angle and macro or landscape photography is your thing, this 3.3 lbs tripod should be apt for you.
Built with a combination of aluminum and magnesium alloys, the Sirui can handle loads of up to 26.4 lbs. Do you need a monopod as well? No worries, just remove its detachable leg and extend your “monopod” up to a height of 52.8 inches.
When you order one such for yourself, you’ll get metal spikes for softer surfaces but note that the ball head is not included in the package and needs to be bought separately, hence the extra cost. But once paired with Sirui G-30X Ball Head, this becomes a tripod of unmatched quality!
- Travel tripod with inconspicuously integrated monopod, including ball head
- Legs can be folded up 180° ° ° ° ° ° ° Tripod shoulder made of non-slip magnesium alloy
- Reversible central column and additional short central column
- Height: 22.8 - 138.8 cm, weight: 1.8 kg, load capacity: 12 kg, pack size: 37 cm.
- Box contents: SIRUI T-1004SK Aluminium tripod, 1 x short centre column 13 cm, 3 x stainless steel...
The Gitzo Series 1 is one of the best if you want a lightweight tripod that feels professional in hand.
This tripod does away with the classic Carbon 6X tubes and uses Carbon eXact tubes instead for its center column and 4 section legs which makes it lighter and stiffer. It has a decent load capacity of 22 lbs and an impressive height range of 8.6 to 60.2″.
It’s just a little bit on the pricey side but that is justified by its durability and Glitzo’s first-hand replacement policy, should you wear a component out.
- Carbon exact tubes; reverse-folding legs
- Traveler G-Lock leg lock system
- Arce-type compatible ball head & compatible with other brand plates
- Short center column & Shoulder strap
- Made in Italy
Why Do I Need a Tripod?
Are you passionate about photography? And stay up till 3 am only to capture a shooting star, then you really need a tripod.
Not only because it will assist you in capturing the moment but also because who in their right mind would stay up that late to help you shoot a picture?
Luckily if they are as keen as you, then maybe you can do without one. For any other situation, however, you need a tripod. These will be your buddies to:
- Capture photos in low light.
- Capture photographs with long exposures.
- Provide lots of stability to the camera.
- Make sure that you say goodbye to blurry images and get sharper results.
- Be able to compose your image comprehensively.
- Enable you to frame and make relevant adjustments to your shots.
- Make the process easy.
- It will not make the video or picture look like you shot it in an earthquake!
Tripods add to your camera equipment and can be a wonderful investment. The shaking effect that causes you to take pictures that people sometimes confuse with an untimely earthquake is greatly reduced.
So, if you want to impress with a good (stable) shot that no one confuses with an earthquake, get a tripod.
While there are many in the market, we all want to know which is the best tripod. There are many options and functions to consider before buying one, and you should ask yourself these questions,
- Can I take it on my trips?
- Is it equipped with all the functionalities that I require?
- Does it fit into my budget?
While they all seemed fairly good with different specifications, what I wanted was one that not only gave the best results but also was lighter to take along in my backpack.
Why Choose a Lightweight Tripod?
Some might argue that a good tripod is the one that is a little on the heavier side as its only task is to support a camera and act as a stand but say this to a traveler and chances are that he’ll shrug his shoulders in disapproval.
A tripod or in layman’s language – a three-legged-support, is extremely vital for a wannabe or a professional photographer.
Not only does it give you the option to click immaculate photos without having to touch the camera, but it also marginally increases the shutter speed which relieves you of the concern to keep still when posing.
Add all of these features in a 1-3 lbs package and you get an irresistible companion for your travel because of course, it’s hard to say no to good photos, especially if you’re a travel vlogger/blogger.
Best Lightweight Tripods – Wrapping Up
Tripods are necessary when you need stability in your shots. They especially come in handy when you are capturing the same thing over and over again, or when it is cold outside, and your hands are plain numb.
Whether it is a hike or a hunting trip and you like a good shot of something that you can boast about when you go home, is where the tripods come in. This being said, you probably decided to get one. But which?
There are many things to consider when you get one. Such as the specifications, cost, durability, and stability, and which is the best for your phone or DSLR? But perhaps the most important thing to consider is the weight.
Maybe if you super-macho you will be good with a heavy one but for other people, this is a factor they need to consider. Also, you will need a lightweight tripod for that hunting trip!
Therefore, do not limit your options or your creativity, and get that awesome shot!
Which One to Choose?
The perfect way to choose the best lightweight tripod for yourself is to first zero-in on a budget range. Next, decide what you need in the tripod?
Answer these two questions to the best of your ability and you’ll see yourself easily pick a tripod that will last you many years.
The choice between carbon fiber and aluminum can find you in a pickle. In summation, we’ll help clarify a few things:
- Carbon fiber is lighter, but
- aluminum is cheaper.
So, to reiterate, the bottom line is: What suits you best?
However, if someone were to ask us what we’d choose from amongst the above for overall performance and compactness, we would gladly pick any one of MeFoto Globetrotter or Peak Design Carbon Fiber.
If budgetary restraints are an important determinant in your decision, the AmazonBasics 60″ should sit well with you.
And if you were to go sheerly by the title of this post and want to pick the lightest tripod of all, the Joby GorillaPod 5K must be your pick!