Today we’re taking a deep dive into the world of 4K video and exploring what the best 4K video camera is.
Whether you’re a filmmaker, a videographer, or a content creator, video matters a lot! You need a video with stability, good resolution, and other features to add spark to your content.
Of course, the quality of the video depends highly on the camera you shoot from.
DSLR cameras have set the norm when it comes to video shooting and every aspiring (or professional) videographer needs to get his hands on one such premium camera to shoot jaw-dropping movements.
While you can still start your career with a good phone camera (like that of an iPhone), a DSLR camera is a demand for professionalism.
Also, the resolution of video footage is unmatched when it comes to comparing a 4K camera and a phone camera.
That said, picking the best 4K video camera for you can be tricky, now that we have a plethora of options available in the market.
What is the best 4K video camera? The answer to that question is not as simple as one might think. It depends on what you want to do with your footage and how much money you have available for equipment.
There are a number of factors at play, including resolution, frame rate, color space, bit depth, and sensor size.
This is where the following product review and buying guide will help.
BEST 4K VIDEO CAMERA
What Are 4K Video Cameras?
4K video cameras are the future of filming. With 4 times the resolution of a standard HD camera, these cameras should be in every filmmaker’s arsenal.
4K video cameras are the next generation of high-definition digital camcorders that provide an incredibly clear picture as well as a more immersive viewing experience for viewers.
Consumers who are looking to purchase this type of camera should consider things such as the number of pixels in the image sensor, the maximum recording time per clip, and whether or not they want their camera to have interchangeable lenses.
Best 4K Video Camera
If you are looking for the best DSLR camera for your videos, we have curated the best 8 DSLR cameras.
1. Canon 5D Mark IV: High-End Professional Video Camera
Canon 5D Mark IV is perfect for both professionals and enthusiasts who love to capture. It offers professionals photo and video quality.
It offers a great dynamic range of features. This camera is particularly used for weddings, photojournalism, portraitures, and landscape. It offers a 30MP balanced resolution with a decent burst rate.
This camera has a dual pixel raw feature. It is quite versatile due to its quick, responsive performance.
It doesn’t matter what you shoot, the Canon 5D Mark IV does justice to image quality and professional performance.
It helps you to achieve beautiful high-quality images with perfection. This camera captures every color, nuance, and detail.
There are advanced focusing and metering features that help you to capture the right moment.
The camera shows high-speed performance and durability and offers you a 4K cinematic video shoot.
It ensures you extra detail and clarity. It is a perfect camera for aspiring filmmakers.
It has a companion app that helps you access extra knowledge and content when you need it the most. It has long battery life.
Dual memory slots use different formats which sometimes act as a limitation. There is a 29:59 continuous video recording limit.
- New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range...
- 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in- camera still frame grab of 4K...
- Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or live view shooting; LCD...
- Excellent performance - up to 7.0 fps continuous shooting speed with high-performance DIGIC 6+ Image...
- Use the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software (Mac and Windows) to turn your Canon camera into a...
2. Sony A7 III: Great Range Of Features
Sony a7 III is a newly developed model with a back-illuminated full-frame CMOS sensor and other image innovation techniques like high speed, ease of operation.
It is one of the most reliable and durable products when it comes to videography but photographers might be a tad disappointed as it has no built-in flash.
It is less expensive in comparison to other cameras. If we talk about a newbie, it might be difficult to handle the camera quickly.
With time you will get perfection. It offers a 24mp full-frame BSI MOS sensor and ensures 93% autofocus coverage.
It is capable of taking excellent image quality photographs and exceptional video footage. It offers great features at a relatively affordable price. There is a touchscreen LCD.
The single card slot is UHS-II compatible and it offers slow speed buffer cleaning. The HDR mode in the camera is not able to detect blurred images.
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI full frame Image Sensor w/ 1.8X readout speed
- 15 stop dynamic range, 14 bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800. Compatible with Sony E mount...
- Up to 10fps silent or mechanical shutter with AE/AF tracking. Battery life (Still Images): Approx....
- 693 phase detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93 percent image coverage. Focus sensor: Exmor R...
- In the box: Rechargeable battery (NP FZ100), AC adapter (AC UUD12), shoulder strap, body cap,...
3. Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera: Perfect For Filmmakers
Black magic pocket cinema camera is perfect for filmmaking purposes and is available in a compact size.
It has 6k super thirty-five senses and an EF lens mount. It offers great cinematic views, defocused background, and an amazing bokeh effect.
The camera is built-in large super 35 format and is compatible with a Canon EF lens mount.
It combines the high dynamic range of low-light performance and black magic RAW to give you images with precise, detailed tone and organic color.
It has all the professional features that you need to make a feature film television program or documentary.
You can also use it to create blog videos and YouTube content. It captures deeper color and high image details. The only limitation it has is that it has short battery life.
- Effective sensor size 23 10 x 12 99 millimeter (super 35)
- Shooting resolutions 6144 x 3456 (6K) up to 50 fps/ 6144 x 2560 (6K 2 4 1) up to 60 fps/ 5744 x 3024...
- Maximum sensor frame rate Dependent on resolution and codec selected Project frame rates of 23 98 24...
- Video inputs None/ video outputs 1x HDMI type a
BEST 4K VIDEO CAMERA
Advantages of Using 4K Video Cameras
• Shooting 4K footage no longer requires expensive camera equipment.
• With video quality this high it’s also possible to shoot GoPro style with a wide, short angle lens and still get excellent results.
• Cutting-edge image quality ensures that even everyday moments look extraordinary on playback.
• Create 4x more detailed resolution video than 1080p.
4. Nikon Z6: Full-Frame Interchangeable Mirrorless Camera
Nikon Z6 is a full-frame interchangeable mirrorless camera. It can shoot continuously at 12fps with an AE lock. You can capture 4K video for maximum resolution.
You can easily connect it to WiFi with Bluetooth or directly to a computer. The footage is stored on an XQD card.
It offers a video resolution of 3840 x 2160 (4K UHD). It has an automatic shooting mode.
This camera has image dust-off reference data and an image sensor cleaning system. It has faster burst shooting, deeper buffers, and a high-end video tag.
It is a perfect tool for advanced video content creators. It offers great image quality as it has high ISO performance. And also has a built-in snap bridge Bluetooth and wifi option available.
A few drawbacks it has are that there is a single card slot, the rear display has no swivel functionality and colors sometimes turn a bit warm and reddish.
- Large, full frame Z mount for Revolutionary optical performance
- Nikon-designed 24. 5MP backside illuminated image sensor
- 273-Point on-sensor Phase detect AF system
- Up to 12 fps; 4K Ultra-HD video; 6K time-lapse; 1080P/120Fps slow motion
- Compatible with NIKKOR Z lenses, over 360 F-mount NIKKOR lenses
5. Sigma FP: Compact And Compatible
The first and smallest interchangeable-lens mirrorless type digital camera supports external recording in 12-bit Cinema-DNG format.
It’s perfect for filmmaking. It is protected with dust and slashes proof sealing.
This camera offers 13 different color modes like Vivid, Neutral and portraiture, landscape, and many more.
Sigma FP comes with a feature on how to make animated gifs. It has a compact, compatible and adaptable body.
It has in-built tools and features for video making. You have only one card slot and no built-in image stabilization.
- World's smallest and lightest full-frame camera; Back-illuminated 35mm full-frame image sensor with...
- Robust & lightweight aluminum body; Dust- and- splash-proof structure
- Supports UHD 4K/24, 25 & 30 fps; Supports 12-bit Cinema DNG
- Full-time electronic shutter; Continuous shooting up 18 FPS
- Face/Eye Detection AF; HDR Shooting
6. Panasonic Lumix S1H: High-Quality Performance
Panasonic Lumix S1H is quite known for the Micro Four Thirds GH series. It offers a full-frame sensor with 24.2MP. MOS sensor offers a range of natural expression in high sensitivity settings and offers dual native ISO features.
The Lumix S1H is a perfect camera for vloggers and movie-makers.
This camera is designed for a video shoot at 6k. It has dual native ISO, a full-size HDMI port, and built-in stabilization. It is easy to use and has a wide variety of features available.
This camera offers heat management and unlimited recording time. It has a supersonic wave filter for dust reduction.
It offers 6K high-quality video and full-frame anamorphic shooting. It is easy to hook on 180fps slow motion. It is one of the best cameras in this price range. There is a lack of lens availability.
- Newly designed full frame sensor – 24 2MP full-frame MOS sensor offers a wide dynamic range and...
- 6K 10-BIT VIDEO – Includes full-area 3 2 6K24p C4K(4 096 x 2 160) and anamorphic modes
- Dual native ISO – offers the advantages of very high sensitivity for low-light shoots while...
- V-log/v-gamut – features a wider 14 plus Stops of dynamic range which are compatible with the...
- Rugged Mirrorless camera design – dust/splash/freeze-resistant design withstands heavy field use...
How To Choose The Best 4K Video Cameras
If you have a need for the best 4K Video Cameras, it is not as easy to find one as one might think.
The confusion about which Video Camera to buy comes from the many varying features that are featured on today’s newest cameras.
The 4K Ultra HD clarity of the video images is what drives the need for high-resolution Video Cameras.
If you buy the best, you get the best, but if you don’t, you still get great quality and an enjoyable viewing experience.
Some of the best video cameras include options that allow you to connect to either a computer or a laptop, either wirelessly or through a wired connection.
Other cameras connect to a USB port, using either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth technology, making the compatibility for the camera much easier.
There are even cameras that use a standard SD card for connectivity, allowing you to use a memory card for storage of your video footage without worrying about compatibility.
If you’re looking to buy a 4K camera, it’s important to consider not just what features the camera has, but what types of accessories are available as well.
Other features to look at are if the camera has:
- an internal flash,
- Auto Focus,
- Continuous Shooting,
- a nighttime mode, etc.
A good rule of thumb is to get the biggest, brightest and fastest lens that the camera manufacturer has currently available.
Before investing in any DSLR camera, you need to decide the purpose of it. Every DSLR camera is made with a purpose.
So, here we will discuss a few factors you need to know before you buy a 4K video camera.
The first step is to decide the purpose of buying a camera. Suppose you are looking for a professional filmmaking video camera.
Sony alpha 7iii is one of the best choices. If you are looking for a camera for travel purposes then, go for a small and compact size camera.
The next important aspect of buying a DSLR camera is to decide the budget you have. There are many DSLR cameras available in the market, from low cost to high cost. So, it is always a good idea to compare prices.
For instance, Panasonic Lumix offers a wide variety of features and has cost quite less than all other cameras in the market. If you have no budget restrictions, you can also go for a canon 5D Mark IV camera.
Next thing, you need to consider the size of the camera. If you are looking for a compact size, Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 6k or Sigma Fp is a good choice. Before you purchase a camera make sure to hold it.
This will give you an idea about how compactable or heavy the camera is. Make sure that the grip of the camera is quite comfortable.
You need to decide whether you need a camera that is compatible with the various lenses or not.
For instance, Panasonic Lumix is compatible with the Four Thirds lens. Make sure that the camera you choose is compatible with other lenses.
The processor plays a significant role in performance. The processor decides how responsive your camera will be.
If you are looking for a fast processor go for Canon 5d Mark IV. It is responsive and doesn’t take a long time to shoot or deliver video.
6. Lens cleaner
Make sure that you always buy a lens cleaner to clean the lens. Don’t use a cloth or tissue without a lens cleaner as it will affect the lens and will result in scratches.
Best 4K Video Camera – Wrapping Up
Now, you don’t have to worry about video quality as these cameras offer you high video quality.
Whether you are looking for a filmmaking camera or a camera for making YouTube videos, you can choose from the list mentioned above.
All these cameras are of diverse range and various features.
So, choose any one from the above according to your need and requirement. And get shooting!
We have Gear Buyer’s Guides on every type of Filmmaking Equipment!
Leave a Reply