So you think it’s time to invest in an action camera? They’re revolutionizing the world of outdoor and extreme sports videography right now, but what are the best action cameras?
Phones are now studded with better cameras but not everything can be filmed using your phone. There are locations and scenes where you might need a different camera. More precisely, an action camera.
GoPro dominated that aspect for a long time. However, with evolving technology and new gadgets being designed every day, we now have more options available to us than ever before.
Plenty of options mean that it can get too confusing too fast. We know how you fall prey to indecision when it comes to so many choices.
Don’t worry! We have created a product review plus buying guide and listed a few action cameras so you can decide with ease.
Best Action Cameras: A Top 7 Review
Here’s a list of the best action cameras for you to shoot breathtaking content and leave people in awe.
Next in line is the GoPro Hero 9 black which shoots stunning 5K videos and maintains details of the image. It also records in 4K, 2.7k, 1440p and 1080p.
It captures pro-quality 20MP photos and uses the super photo feature to capture astonishing photos.
It also offers a different lens mode like max hyper smooth stabilization and a max super view. The ultra-smooth 3.0 is GoPro’s most advanced stabilizer.
Plus, you can also record incredible time-lapse videos with 3.0 temporal distortion with back view recording 30 seconds before you start shooting.
It weighs approximately 158g and is waterproof to 10m and comes with a 1,720mAh battery.
However, there are a few minor issues that need to be fixed, including a non-responsive touchscreen, no 4K/120p mode, and some improvements to 4K shooting.
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining detail even when...
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto - Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And with...
- Front Display plus Rear Touch Screen - A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on HERO9...
- Live Streaming plus Webcam - Live stream in 1080p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you...
- HyperSmooth 3.0 - Experience the ultimate smoothness with our most advanced video stabilization ever
The GoPro hero 8 comes with advanced features that make it a perfect action camera. It can easily fit into your pocket.
It features a Hyper Smooth 2.0 stabilization and built-in mounting with different lens modes like narrow, distortion-free linear, wide, and super view.
Furthermore, the time warp 2.0 feature is so fun to shoot with.
The improved HDR combined with super photo delivers a detailed quality picture and the live burst mode captures 1.5 seconds before and after one hits the shutter.
Furthermore, you can use the video command feature which is available in 10 languages.
This 126g action camera film up to 60fps, 1080 up to 240fps, and 720 up to 240fps. With a fixed resolution of 12MP, you can shoot high-quality action videos.
Moreover, it comes with a 1220mAh battery so you can pull for a good amount of time.
However, there is a drawback to this, its performance is not satisfactory in low brightness and it does not come with a front screen; other than that this camera is perfect for shooting amazing content.
BEST ACTION CAMERAS
What Are Action Cameras?
Action cameras are high-performance video devices that allow users to capture their full-length adventures and everyday life moments. These rugged, portable video recorders are designed for capturing fast action footage from first-person perspectives.
Action cameras are often mounted to the user’s head, body, or bike in order to get a different view of what they experience.
These compact cameras have become popular with athletes and outdoor enthusiasts who want an easy way to document their activities without having to lug around a heavy camera equipment bag.
With its front display and user-friendliness, Osmo action is best for anyone who wants to upgrade from a phone to a real camera.
It’s not expensive and delivers great quality 4K videos up to 60fps, 1080 up to 240fps, and 720 up to 240fps with a still resolution of 12MP and battery life of 1-2.25hours.
With its advanced improvements in stabilization, the rock steady combines EIS with a complex algorithm giving you a stabilized video.
Furthermore, the 8x slo-mo allows you to capture jaw-dropping video footage.
On the downside, it does not provide motion stabilization for HDR video, does not support live streaming, and offsets somewhat.
- Dual Screens: Osmo Action’s dual screens allow you to capture it all with the touch of a button. A...
- The RockSteady technology combines EIS with complex algorithms, delivering stable, shake-free...
- Action camera with 1/2.3" CMOS Sensor, 12MP, wide-angle 145° that allows you to shoot 4K HDR...
- 8x Slow Motion: Capture every epic move with jaw-dropping clarity and detail when you use 8x slow...
- 11m Waterproof, -10℃ Temperature Resistant Sporting a watertight seal and a hydrophobic coating on...
The Hero 7 black is more of a basic action camera that still shoots well, but there are some downsides to it. It comes with a fixed 12MP resolution and autonomy from 1 to 3 hours.
You can take 4K videos up to 60 fps, 1080 up to 240 fps, and 720 up to 240 fps. It weighs about 118g and delivers excellent video and image quality.
There are some useful user interface enhancements, while Warp is super fun and it has a super smooth very effective.
On the downside, you can struggle with voice commands, a non-reactive screen at some times, and output slo-mo video through an application or software. Something that they largely corrected un the newer models.
On the other hand, you can live stream in 720p on social media, and you can go hands-free with 16 commands like “GoPro, take a photo.”
- E-COMMERCE PACKAGING: GoPro HERO7 Black Camera plus Extra Battery- This product is in manufacturer...
- 4K60 VIDEO AND 12MP PHOTOS: Awesome as the moments themselves. 8x Sol-Mo Video - With ultra high...
- HYPERSMOOTH VIDEO STABILIZATION: Get gimbal-like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black...
- TIME WARP VIDEO plus SUPER PHOTO: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a...
- RUGGED plus WATERPROOF: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is...
BEST ACTION CAMERAS
Advantages of Using Action Cameras
• Action cameras are easy to use.
• They allow you to capture the moment in HD quality so that it looks more appealing.
• You can take still photos while recording video footage.
• There is a variety of cameras available, from ones for athletes/adventures and ones with specific features (ex: waterproof).
The Insta360 allows you to shoot awe-inspiring videos in low light and consists of a camera block. The device offers high-quality images of solid 4K.
It provides a fixed resolution of 18.5MP with a 1150mAh battery and waterproof to 5m. It also offers 5.7k video up to 30fps, 4K up to 30fps, and 1080 up to 200fps.
With super 5.7k resolution and advanced image processing, it delivers video footage with the smallest of detail included.
The new scene detection algorithm helps your footage stay clear and steady.
However, it has a very small screen and significant bugs which can be ironed out with a software upgrade.
- Super 5.7K: The Dual-Lens 360 Mod raises the bar with Super 5.7K resolution, leveraging H.265...
- FlowState Stabilization: FlowState achieves gimbal-like image stabilization without the gimbal....
- Invisible Selfie Stick Effect: Watch as your selfie stick automatically disappears in your edit!...
- IPX8 Waterproof: Whether you're poolside or on a rainy-day ride, this waterproof action camera can...
- In the Box: 1x Dual-Lens 360 Mod, 1x Core, 1x Battery Base, 1x Lens Cap and 1x Mounting Bracket.
It is the best waterproof, 360-degree action camera. It provides excellent sound quality and a fixed resolution of 16.6 MP.
Furthermore, it delivers quality videos at 5.6k spherical videos up to 30fps and 1440p 2D video up to 60fps with a battery life of 108 minutes at the video of 1440p and 78 minutes when you are shooting a 5.6k video.
It delivers a super smooth video with its hyper smooth feature and offers four lens modes including narrow, distortion-free linear, wide, and max super view.
However, it does not function best in low light and provides low-resolution 2D images. Thus, it is not ideal for night shots.
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional Hero-style...
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate...
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on...
- Horizon Leveling: In HERO mode, game-changing horizon leveling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic...
- PowerPano: Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270-degree distortion-free panoramic photos without...
Hero 7 is an entry-level camera. It offers a pleasant 4K video quality and is easy to use with a fixed resolution of 10MP with an autonomy of 1-3hours.
It features movies from 1080 to 60fps and 720 to 60fps. Also, it’s fully waterproof so you can shoot underwater very effectively.
With a wide dynamic range, you can capture images with detail in dark areas as well, and switching between different modes is easy with the simple tapping function.
On the downside, the LCD screen may sometimes not respond and it provides limited control of image capture adding to its drawback.
- 4K30 Video: Get stunning 4K video that's as amazing as the moment itself; you can also shoot time...
- Rugged plus Waterproof: Share experiences you can't capture with your phone; HERO7 Silver is tough,...
- Intuitive: Touchscreen with a touch screen and simple, streamlined capture modes, it's easy to jump...
- Voice Control: Stay in the moment; control your HERO7 Silver hands free with voice commands like...
- 10MP photos with WDR HERO7 Silver takes beautiful, vibrant 10MP photos even in challenging shots...
Best Action Cameras – Buying Guide
Here you will be able to figure out the best camera for you that will best meet your needs and will finally take you out of that indecision zone you are hanging in.
Best For Budget-Friendly
Everyone would like to get their hands on the best product at a price that wouldn’t break their bank. It is hard to accomplish it with action cameras but it is not impossible.
Pocket-friendly cameras include GoPro hero 7 silver, DJI Osmo action, and insta360 one R.
Best For Image Stabilization
Image stabilization is important for shooting quality video and is an important element of the action camera.
The best frame stabilizer is offered by Gopro hero 8 black, DJI Osmo action, and Gopro max.
Best For Battery Life
It can get irritating when your camera dies in the middle of a shoot disrupting your job and you wouldn’t want that to happen and miss the beauty of the moment.
That’s why you should always look for a camera that delivers you battery time with other quality features.
The camera with excellent autonomy includes Gopro Hero 9 black making it possible to have fun with your shooting for a good amount of time.
Best For 5K Video
Looking for an action camera that helps you record 5k action video? Your hunt comes to an end here. GoPro hero 9 black and Gopro max are good choices for you. They provide detailed video in high-quality 5k which will leave your audience in fear.
Best High Resolution
High-resolution cameras combined with different features will allow you to capture amazing video footage. GoPro Hero 9 black with 20MP still resolution is the best fit for you in this regard.
Best Underwater Camera
If you are someone looking for the best underwater camera and that is your primary priority then Olympus Tough TG-6 is the best for you.
It is the best underwater camera and shoots quality video footage.
Best In Easy-To-Use
Learning how to use a camera is hard and might take time. if you don’t want to spend too much time doing so then a basic camera or a beginner easy-to-use camera is perfect for you. The GoPro hero 7 black will best serve you in this regard.
Best Action Cameras – Wrapping Up
To conclude, all the cameras listed above are the best in their job and there is a camera for each type of buyer, whether beginner or professional.
Modern technology is capable of meeting everyone’s needs and always exceeds people’s expectations.
We hope that the above product reviews and buying guide have enriched you with the proper know-how to purchase the perfect camera as per your needs.
So, what are you waiting for? Get that new camera and shoot astonishing video footage.