There’s no denying that when it comes to action cameras, GoPros are most filmmakers’ device of choice. The cameras are renowned for their superior image quality, incredibly portable design, and plenty of features that help you capture that perfect shot. But what is the best GoPro alternative?
However, GoPros come at a cost, and whether you’re starting your filmmaker journey, or you’re simply filming on a budget, sometimes the price tag is just too much.
In some cases, you might find the GoPro features don’t quite hit the spot, and you need something a little more orientated to your needs.
Thankfully, there are plenty of other fantastic alternatives out there for you to choose from.
Best GoPro Alternative – Overview
While GoPro is a household name, it’s worth remembering there’s an extensive range of action cameras and portable film cameras that could be precisely what you’re looking for.
Today, we’re going to explore the very best GoPro alternatives, ensuring you have all the information you need to make the choice that’s best for you.
To kickstart our list, we’ve chosen the feature-packed Fitfort Action Camera. If you’re looking for an action camera that pulls out all the stops while remaining suitable for every kind of budget imaginable, it doesn’t get much better than this.
As the title suggests, this is a full 4K resolution action camera that records at 30fps, comes with 16MP image capture, and an impressive 170˚ wide angle lens. What more do you need?
Each device comes with the two rechargeable batteries so you can be sure you’ll never run out of power when filming, and is compatible with a dedicated Android and iOS app, meaning you’ll be able to capture all your shots from a distance remotely, or manage your content without needing access to a computer.
Certified to a waterproof rating of IP68, this device can be fully submerged up to 100ft of water; it’s easy to see why this is one of the most popular of all GoPro alternatives.
- 4K video at 30fps, 16MP image and 170˚ wide angle lens
- Free iOS and Android XVA app
- Complete wireless technology built into the device
- Waterproof to an IP68 rating
- Comes with two rechargeable batteries
- [100% 4K HD action camera]: provides 4K/30Fps, 2.7K/30Fps, 1080P/60Fps video resolution. 16MP image...
- [Sufficient power supply]: comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh battery(one in the camera, One in the...
- [Wireless remote control]: features a 2.4G wireless remote control. Put the remote control on your...
- [Wi-fi & app control】: compatible with iOS devices and Android devices. Scan the QR code on the...
- [100 Feet waterproof]: IP68 certified rugged waterproof housing supports diving deppth up to...
Next up on the list we have a fantastic action camera from a relatively new manufacturer, OCLU. They bring us the impressive OCLU Action Camera!
Coming to the party with an outstanding 4K resolution at 30 FPS, with the ability to also shoot 120FPS in 1080p, this action camera offers a lot of variety. This range of FPS allows you to grab a whole range of shots in varied situations.
This makes it a perfect camera for all kinds of environments, on-the-go run-and-gun style. Of course, the ability to shoot on the go is pretty much a pre-requisite these days when it comes to action cameras.
One of the most awesome features of the OCLU is that it’s water resistant to 1M for 30 mins, using the IPX7 technology. If you aren’t aware, IPX7 is impressive as it’s the second highest water resistant level on cameras meaning you could essentially drop the OCLU in 1 meter of water and your device is still going to work. So if you’re doing any kind of water based shooting, you can rest assured. Good to know!
We took the OCLU for a spin and were very pleased with the the range of abilities and overall feel of these action cam. I should note that there’s a universal mount – at a standard 1/4” tripod mount & universally compatible accessory mount.
There are many more cool features that the OCLU brings to the table, including Motion Recording (that is, motion initiated recording, for wildlife and other applications), Wind Reduction (microphones on both the front and very top, independently isolated) and Quick Toggle Modes (4 customizable modes to toggle between on-the-fly).
- Resolution – 4K 30 FPS 1080P 120FPS
- Water resistent – IPX7 standard (1M for 30mins).
- Quick-Toggle Modes – 4 customizable modes to toggle between on-the-fly.
- Image Stabilization – Super smooth footage at 1080P @ 30 / 60 FPS.
- Universal Mounting – Standard 1/4” tripod mount & universally compatible accessory mount.
Another household name in the action camera industry is Campark. Although the company become a bit infamous at the beginning for faulty devices and not being manufactured to an excellent quality, the company have certainly upped their game over the last few years.
This brings us to one of their latest models; the 4K action camera. Just like the GoPro, the Campark Camera shoots in full 4K at 30fps and can capture photos at 16MP.
What’s more, the lens comes with an integrated Sony sensor, ensuring the device handles light most professionally and effectively.
The device boasts a lens of 170˚ for ultimate wide-angle shots and is waterproof up to 98ft; which is ideal for capturing detailed, crystal-clear underwater shots. However, what really makes this device stand out is the complete set of accessories you’ll get with it.
This includes two rechargeable batteries and a range of mounting equipment. These can be used to set up and position practically any shot you care to name, whether stationary or on a person. High-octane first-person footage anyone?
The device also comes compatible with the dedicated iOS and Android app which means you can control your device wirelessly, or you can directly upload your content to the cloud on set!
- 4K30fps video recording with 16MP still images
- Waterproof up to 98ft
- Impressive 170˚ wide angle lens
- One of the most affordable action cameras available today
- 4K HD & 2.0" TOUCH SCREEN: Featuring 4K/24fps, 2K/30fps and 1080P/60fps video resolutions, the...
- ANTI-SHAKING & ADJUSTABLE VIEWING ANGLE: Built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) makes the X20...
- SPORTS CAMERA WITH WIFI & REMOTE CONTROL: Edit and share your videos on your smartphone with the...
- 100FT WATERPROOF CAMERA WITH VALUABLE ACCESSORIES: Included waterproof case keeps the 4K camera safe...
- PERFECT GIFT FOR EVERYONE: The strong, small and lightweight Campark X20 is perfect for any...
No matter what area of life you’re from, you’ll have heard of tech giant Garmin, but few people will be aware of their action camera range, which is surprising considering how featureful and packed this particular model is.
Garmin has really pushed the boat out here which full 4K30fps video recording and then 120fps when recording at 1080p, which is basically on par with the GoPro.
It is worth noting at this point that the price bracket is roughly the same as the GoPro, but that doesn’t mean Garmin isn’t worth a look at.
Using Garmin’s patented technology, you’ll find high-precision GPS software and a range of external sensors. This can be used to record things like elevation, precise locations, and even metrics like heart rates.
This is something the GoPro doesn’t have, which means you’re actually getting more for your money here!
The device even boasts a full-color LCD touchscreen, 3-axis image stabilization, and integrated voice control as standard; ensuring you have one of the most complete action camera experiences possible.
Looking for flexibility and full control over your shots? The Garmin Virb Ultra 30 is definitely worth a consideration.
- Coveted G-Metrix GPS technology and external sensors for geotagging and personal user metric tracking
- 4Kfps, 1080p120fps and 16MP still image capture
- Full LCD touchscreen and built-in voice control
- Leading 3-axis image stabilization even at 60fps
- Highly sensitive microphone for professional audio capture as standard
- ULTRA HD VIDEO - Crystal clear 4K/30fps footage, 1080p/120fps, or slow motion capability at...
- G-METRIX - Built-in GPS and external sensors with connectivity to Garmin devices to capture...
- LCD COLOR TOUCHSCREEN - 1.75-inch display is easy to operate; fully functional in and out of...
- VOICE CONTROL - Shoot hands-free by using voice commands to start/stop recording, take a photo or...
- 3-AXIS IMAGE STABILIZ3-AXIS IMAGE STABILIZATION - Captures steady footage up to 1080p/60fps
There’s no denying that Sony is one of the leaders of the camera industry and the technology used in Sony cameras is used in models and devices across the industry. With this in mind, it should come as no surprise that the Sony Action Camera is one of the industry leaders.
While priced slightly higher than your typical GoPro model, this camera goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to features and overall performance.
Of course, the camera records in full 4K resolution, but also in 240p for ultimate slow-motion capabilities while retaining its HD quality.
This device also includes Sony’s leading image stabilization technology which means it doesn’t matter what situation you’re using your camera; your footage will be pristine.
This is then backed up by the fact the camera offers multiple bundle packages, meaning you can spend your money on the bundle and equipment that is best suited for you.
There’s no wasting money on products or mounting gear you don’t want or need. As standard, this device is manufactured with a fully waterproof casing, a professional stereo mic for pristine sound recording free from movement or wind static, and customizable loop recording means you never have to worry about running out of space.
What’s more, this device is compatible with the dedicated Sony app (compatible on all major devices and operating system) which allows you to control up to five individuals at the same time, giving you complete control over your filming experience.
- Complete 4K60fps with a 170˚ wide-angle lens
- Built-in 240p HD slow-motion recording as standard
- Sony’s leading SteadyShot and image stabilization technology
- Live stream wirelessly using built-in technology
- Automatic highlight reels created within the camera
- Professional 4K (3840 x 2160) video recording with up to 240p HD / 120p HD
- SteadyShot image stabilization works from bikes to aerial shot and more
- Control up to 5 Action Cam via phone1 or LiveView Remote (Sold Separately)
- Splash proof body with universal tripod mount
- Built-in stereo mic for quality sound with wind noise reduction
GoPros are renowned for their durability and their ability to survive and thrive in extreme conditions. However, it’s not the only camera that’s capable of standing against the elements and winning.
Enter the Olympus TG Tracker.
This sturdy little device is one of the most robust action cameras on the market, so if you’re looking to put a camera through its paces, you may not need to look any further than this.
Spec wise, this camera is capable of recording in 4K up to 30fps and prides itself on its high-speed capture lens.
As standard, the camera can be submerged up to 100ft without any casing or housing. This is just a standard feature. This is then coupled with the built-in Wi-Fi and five unique external sensors including GPS, Thermometer, Barometer, and Accelerometer.
All of this data can be viewed through the dedicated mobile app which means you can easily set up the perfect shot in the perfect conditions, saving you time and money when it comes to capturing the perfect shot.
Still images are captured at around 8MP, which is less than the other capture cameras here, but at half the price of a standard GoPro, this is a budget-friendly option that still packs a punch.
- 4K30fps video and 8MP still image capture
- Five external sensors to help you collect all the data you need while recording
- One of the most durable action cameras on the market
- Waterproof to 100ft without a case
- Built-in Wi-fi connection capabilities
- Integrated image stabilization as standard
- 4K 30P Video capture
- Dimensions 35.0 x 56.5 x 93.2 millimeter ,1.37 x 2.22 x 3.67 inches.204 Degree Extreme Angle f2.0...
- Waterproof to 100 feet / 30 meters without housing
- Built in WiFi.Power Adapter:100 - 240 VAC, 50 / 60Hz
- 5 Built In sensors capture movement: GPS, eCompass, Accelerometer, Thermometer, and Barometer
What to Look for When Buying a GoPro Alternative
While the GoPro is feature-packed and one of the highest performance action cameras available today, when choosing an alternative that’s right for you, there are several factors you’ll want to consider ensuring you’re getting the best filmmaking experience.
Below, we’re going to explore some of these points which acts as a checklist to make sure you’re spending your budget in the right places.
Image and Video Quality
One of the most attractive features of the GoPro is the 4K image quality, but as we’ve explored today, plenty of action cameras offer this resolution.
When shopping for a GoPro alternative, make sure you’re considering the quality the camera can record in both image and video formats.
Ideally, you’re going to want 4K at 60fps as this is a standard that gives you the ability to record at any resolution you wish.
In terms of still image quality, 16MP is one of the best you’ll get, but if you’re not fussed with image quality, you can turn a blind eye to this feature.
Most filmmakers, especially those starting out, will be shopping on a budget, which is why you’ll be looking for a cheaper alternative.
When considering price, take your budget and be detailed in your research to see what you can afford. There’s no denying there’s plenty of great deals out there for you to choose from.
Mounting Options & Equipment
One of the best benefits of an action camera is their unique size and how portable they are.
However, many action cameras will require mounts to fix them to surfaces, people, or in certain positions.
Ideally, you’ll want the mounting equipment to come with your purchase, so make sure you’re considering this and that getting mounting gear won’t up how much you’re spending by too much.
Try to be as organized, and as planned as possible to know what shots you’ll be taking so you get the right equipment right off the bat.
It’s essential to make sure you’re thinking about how your action camera can connect to specific other devices.
Whether you’re sending your media files off wirelessly to your phone or a cloud storage platform, or you’re connecting to a computer using USB, it’s crucial to think about what you need and how you’ll be working, and then making sure your action camera will fulfill your requirements.
An important element of action cameras is their durability. Since action cameras are typically used in extreme conditions, such as tropical destinations, underwater scenes, and extreme sports, you’ll want to make sure that your camera can keep up with you.
Of course, if you’re going to be setting up still frames in a café, or walking around with a tripod, this may not be as important to you, which means you won’t need something super durable or protected which will help you find a better budget option.
Best GoPro Alternative – In Summary
As you can see, when it comes to choosing the right GoPro alternative, there’s a huge variety of awesome cameras out there just waiting for you to take advantage of them.
Be mindful of what you’re looking for as a filmmaker and what you need during your productions to ensure you’re investing your budget in the right equipment for you.
We hope you’ve found this article covering the best GoPro alternative helpful in making a purchasing decision. Whilst we endorse all of these action cameras, the best GoPro alternative is very likely in the eye of the beholder.
What is your favorite alternative to the GoPro? Drop us a message in the comments section below.