The soft box is one of the most frequently used light modifiers. Soft boxes are used commonly in both photography and filmmaking.
They are lightweight, portable, and produce soft and diffused light. This makes them perfect for a variety of lighting situations.
In this article, we will take a look at the 6 of the best soft box lights that you can spend your money on.
Best Soft Box Lights
What Are soft box lights?
Soft box lights are light modifiers regularly used in photography and videography.
They are typically made of fabric on all four sides, which creates a soft light. They can be purchased in many different sizes.
The most common sizes are: 24 inches by 24 inches; 36 inches by 36 inches; 48 inches by 48 inches; 60 inches by 60 inches; and 72 inches by 72 inches.
Soft box lights usually have a bar on the top of them. You can purchase a light stand to hang your background light from if you don’t want it attached to a wall.
It’s important to hang your soft box light above your subject or background so that the light softly hits it.
If you hang your soft box light too low, then it will cast shadows on your subject or background.
You can also purchase an adapter for your soft box light to attach a boom arm to it so that you can easily move it above your subject or background without having to hold it up yourself.
The larger the soft box, the softer the light will be, but they are more expensive and naturally take up more space than smaller ones.
Best Soft Box Lights
Let’s jump into our list of what we consider the best soft box lights on the market today.
Fovitec Spk10-037 3-Light 2500w Fluorescent Softbox Lighting Kit
If you’re looking for a lighting kit that has everything you need to get started as a beginner, the Fovitec Spk10-037 3-Light 2500w Fluorescent Softbox Lighting Kit is just what you’re looking for.
This particular kit features three fluorescent lamps, which is great because they produce little heat and don’t require a ballast.
They work great in enclosed spaces where there isn’t room or proper ventilation for a hot light like an incandescent or tungsten lamp. The lights are dimmable and can be adjusted from 15 percent to 100 percent brightness, so you’ll be able to find the perfect amount of illumination for each shoot.
Each of these lights also comes with a barn door, so you can control the direction of the light from your camera’s point of view.
These lights are equipped with rod-socket connectors, which makes them easy to attach and remove from any standard light stand. You can easily install one of these kits on a light stand or tripod in less than 30 seconds!
Product Dimensions: 44 x 11 x 10 inches; 6 pounds
Features: Three fluorescent light bulbs
Color: Black with silver trim
Material: Metal and plastic
- Contains 2 1-socket heads, 2 20" x 28" softboxes, 1 single-socket head with a built-in softbox, 2...
- Suitable for a wide variety of photo and video applications such as live streaming, interviews,...
- Offers easy-to-use lighting controls for maximum versatility and light quality
- Provides quick mastering for both beginners and professionals, making it ideal for large or small...
- Offers 5500K color temperature specifications for optimal daylight clarity, exceptional color...
Studiofx 2400w Large Softbox Lighting Kit
The StudioFX 2400W Softbox Kit is a must have for anyone who takes their photography seriously.
The quality of light produced by this kit is amazing and creates perfect lighting for any subject.
This softbox kit features a 4-in-1 light modifier (diffusers) that snaps on to the front of the softbox, creating a number of different lighting effects.
This kit also comes with two 500 W bulbs, two 1200 W bulbs, two light stands, a light shutter trigger, two ground spikes, and two carry bags, making it the perfect all in one solution to your photography needs.
- 【High Quality Softbox】 Soft box nylon reflector is made of high-quality PET fabric and reflector...
- 【Energy Saving Bulb】 Softbox photography lighting kit is equipped with two 40w energy saving...
- 【Durable Tripod Stand】 Equipped with two tripod stands which are made of premium aluminum-alloy...
- 【Rotatable & Adjustable】 Extendable tripod stand can be flexibly adjusted between 27" and 74.5",...
- 【Wide Appplication】 Lighting softbox is ideal for daily photography including portrait shooting,...
Neewer 700w 24-Inch Softbox Lighting Kit
Lighting kits are an essential part of any photography setup, making it possible for you to set the right mood for your work.
The Neewer 24-Inch Softbox Lighting Kit is a great choice for beginners and professional photographers alike. It comes with two 600 W photographic lights, a carrying case, and two honeycomb grids.
Each light features a dimmer knob and a rotary switch that allows you to adjust color temperature from yellow to blue, giving you complete control over the mood of your photographs.
The softboxes included in this kit provide even illumination and offer a three-stop diffusion, which helps reduce hotspots and glare. With a 24-inch diameter, these softboxes produce natural-looking highlights with minimal falloff.
With its generous size, this lighting kit is ideal for any studio setup or location shoot. It also features a sturdy steel construction with aluminum joints that are built to last. The carrying case makes it easy to store and transport all the necessary parts of this kit.
- This basic version kt includes (4) 7ft/200cm Light Stands, (2) Single Head Light Holders, (4) 45W...
- LIGHT STAND AND LIGHT HOLDER: Solid safety 3 legs stages, capable for stable and heavy duty work....
- UMBRELLA AND LIGHT BULB: The 33"/84cm white translucent umbrella can soften, broaden and diffuse the...
- 24x24INCHES SOFTBOX: Softbox diffuses the light and gives you perfect even lighting when you need...
- BACKGROUND SUPPORT SYSTEM: (1)6x9 ft/1.8x2.8MMuslin Backdrop(Black,White and Green)+(6)Backdrop...
Mountdog 1350w Softbox Lighting Kit
MountDog 1350W Softbox Lighting Kit is designed for both photographers and filmmakers, providing a diffused and soft light source.
The kit comes with a portable 1350 W softbox lighting kit, which consists of two 1350 W strobes, two white umbrellas, two fabric light stands, and one light stand bag.
This kit will give you enough flexibility to fulfill your shooting purpose.
- Double Flash Strobe Kit (5 in 1): Two flash heads and the reflector (with the umbrella mount) are integrated into one unit
- The distance between the flash heads can be adjusted freely by rotating the wing nut
- It is easy to adjust the direction of the light beam on different angles
The strong aluminum material will ensure high stability while shooting, and this softbox will give you a softer and more even light source.
The umbrella’s tilt can be adjusted according to your needs. This gives you more control over how you want to shoot your photos or subjects.
The lightweight, folding design makes it easy to put the umbrella away when not in use, and the umbrella takes up much less space for storage.
- 【High-Performance】12pcs 45W professional photography light bulbs, 5500K color temperature, super...
- 【210° Rotatable Head & Adjustable Stand】Softbox photo lighting angle can be 210° adjustable...
- 【Boom Arm Reflector Holder Kit】54" Long Boom Arm+ Holder Arm Grip+Sand Bag: give you much wider...
- 【Packing List】2M softbox stand X3，Bar Arm Boom X1，20'*28' Studio Softbox X3，4 light bulb...
- 【Suitable for Professional or Amateur Photography】:Mountdog softbox suitable for shooting in...
Esddi Softbox Lighting Kit
The Esddi Softbox Lighting Kit is designed to provide you with the most convenient and affordable way to create soft, diffused light for portraits or any other still-life situation.
The kit includes two collapsible octagonal softboxes, two double-sided grids, two speedlite stands, a carrying bag, a strip light (with standard shoe mount), two honeycomb grids for the strip light, and a white translucent diffuser for the strip light.
The whole system can be assembled in less than a minute without tools. The tubes are made of durable aluminum and can be collapsed into a small size for easy transport.
All the materials used are high quality and produce little noise when used outdoors.
The kit is ideal for photographers of all levels, from beginner to pro.
- A small flash becomes as powerful as an octobox, so you can always shoot with wide aperture.
- Perfect for creating shadows on your subject’s face.
- No more harsh shadows
- This is an incredibly versatile kit—it works great with small flashes, larger studio flashes, and even continuous lighting!
- No need to buy multiple lights when looking to do some outdoor shoots—this kit will take care of everything!
- 📷【2*50X70cm SOFTBOXES】This softbox kit includes: Carry Bag x 1, Bulbs x 2, White Covers x 2,...
- 📷【2*85W 5500K CFL BULBS】The total wattage of these two 85W CFL fluorescent bulbs is...
- 📷【SUITABLE FOR ALL TYPES OF PHOTOGRAPHY】The softbox is suitable for a variety of photos....
- 📷【FLEXIBLE STRUCTURE, EASY TO USE】The softbox can be rotated up and down by 210° to adapt to...
- 📷【LIFETIME WARRANTY】The sturdy nylon bag protects professional equipment from the threat of...
Neewer 2×160 LED Dimmable Lighting Kit
Neewer 2×160 LED Dimmable Lighting Kit is an amazing lighting kit that provides you with a series of rechargeable LED lights. It comprises two bulbs, two stands, and four diffusers, and is the perfect lighting kit for shooting video or photos.
This lighting kit features a light intensity of up to 2000 lux and color temperature of 5500K. The top-quality lights are equipped with a unique design that allows you to adjust its brightness from 0% to 100%. You can also adjust its color temperature from 2700K to 6000K, making it ideal for different photo and video applications.
Neewer 2×160 LED Dimmable Lighting Kit is equipped with high-quality LED lights that can last for longer periods without any flickering or buzzing noises.
It also has an adjustable power cable (length: 3 m), allowing you to adjust the length according to your requirements.
This is a very good product. It is well made and very easy to use. It comes with everything you need to get started with video or photo projects. You can have a complete setup in minutes.
The lightweight aluminum casing makes it very portable.
- Powerful & Versatile Light: With 240 White And 240 Yellow Leds, Each Light Will Offer Bright,...
- Customizable Lighting: Use The Control Knobs To Set The Brightness From 0 To 100% And Color...
- Sturdy Material & Sleek Design: Made Of Aluminum Alloy, The Casing And U-Shaped Bracket Are Solid...
- Adjustable Light Stand: The Aluminum Alloy Light Stand Is Durable Yet Lightweight. Thanks To The...
How Do You Shoot with a Softbox?
I’ve been asked quite a few times how I shoot with a softbox and what the setup is. I thought it would be a good idea to put together an explanation of how I do it, as well as a few examples of what I’ve been shooting over the last few months.
I’ll start with some photos of the setup. This is my favorite box: the Westcott Apollo softbox. It’s a 42-inch octagonal softbox with a diffuser and removable front grid for more control (you can purchase this one here).
You have to set up your light just outside the frame, so you may have to move it around to get it where you want it.
When deciding where to put the light, think about where you want your subject lit and how much light you want on them if the lights are in front or behind your background (which is my preference).
I tend to light my subjects from slightly above and in front, behind, or off to one side, depending on the situation. I don’t ever really put the lights behind me because that limits my ability to adjust their position and may cause my photos to be out of focus since I’m shooting at f/11.
Which to Choose: Softbox vs Umbrella
One of the most common questions we receive from our readers is which to choose: softboxes or umbrellas.
While we’re big fans of both, the answer really depends on what you’re shooting and how much space you have to work with.
So, when it comes to deciding between a softbox vs umbrella, here’s what you should consider…
The Benefits of Softboxes
Softboxes are used in a variety of professional applications, be it for photo shoots or video production. They’re known for their wide range of uses and their ability to provide beautiful light in any situation.
They are also extremely durable and well-constructed, making them perfect if you’re traveling and need to keep your gear safe.
It’s also important to note that softboxes provide more versatility than umbrellas because they can be placed virtually anywhere around a subject. This is especially true if your location is limited by lighting restrictions.
By placing the softbox directly above the subject (or to the side), you’ll get nice, soft light without having to worry about shadows or other issues that can occur when using an umbrella.
Choosing Softbox Lights: Things to Consider
Softboxes are the most popular light modifiers used today by professional photographers, and they can be used with Nikon or Canon DSLR cameras.
While there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing which softbox you should buy, but there are some things you should consider before purchasing one.
The first thing you should look at is the foam core material of the box itself. A foam core is basically a piece of white Styrofoam covered in black paper.
When you are looking at diffusers, you will find this material inside of them, as well as on the outside.
The outside foam core helps to keep the light from bouncing off of the inside material and sending unwanted light out the back of your softbox. Escaping light can cause your background to become overexposed in the photo that you take, so the outside foam core serves a crucial purpose.
What to Look for in Softbox Lights
Softbox lights can use either flash bulbs or continuous light bulbs. Flash bulbs tend to be more expensive, but they’re also much more reliable and easier to use.
Softbox lights using flash bulbs are called strobe lights. The bulbs can be powered by AA batteries, a power pack, or an AC adapter. They typically give off a flash every three to four seconds, and they’re easy to control and fine-tune.
Softboxes that use continuous light bulbs are called continuous lights. These are cheaper than strobes, but they require more effort on your part to make them work properly.
They also put out more heat than strobe lights, which means they need better cooling systems in order to run efficiently. In addition, while they can be plugged into a wall outlet, they’re often hard-wired into the electrical system at large events.
There are two types of softboxes: direct and indirect light sources. Direct lighting is used when you want light to shine directly on your subject; indirect lighting is used when you want a softer, more even light.